Fish Hook

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Shaft is carved from Ash & the barb is a bamboo skewer, but could easily have been a thorn, piece of bone or even carved from a stick, it whipped with linen thread, i had the end of a roll from my leather work, not enough for making a sheath or belt, but just enough for this.

DSCN5669.jpg

DSCN5671.jpg

DSCN5653.jpg

Passed a bit of time in between jobs today and makes for a nice bit o whittlin'

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
That looks some awesome Kepis, really neat and tidy, I have seen quite a number of these kind of hooks but still wonder how it they really stick together, could you enlighten me or show me a source that will.
Yours sincerely a puzzled Ruud

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That looks some awesome Kepis, really neat and tidy, I have seen quite a number of these kind of hooks but still wonder how it they really stick together, could you enlighten me or show me a source that will.
Yours sincerely a puzzled Ruud

Here you go Ruud, a very simple how to http://kepisbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk/p/whipped-fish-hook.html, i still need to capture detail on the whipping and get that published, but if you study the photo's it should make sense.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers mate, might try and make another tomorrow using nettle cordage, just for something a little bit different again

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I've seen a lot of these hooks being made, never seen anyone catch a fish on one though.
I hasten to add, I made one using just a burnt match (the burning provides a hardened sharp point) and a thread from my shirt. I tried to make it as small as possible and it held a 1.5kg weight. I never tried it out though, it was still too big for the weight (or size) of fish it would be possible to catch. I think I prefer the bone or thorn 'toggle' method.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, I think most folk used a carved hook, that or a gorge.

Fishhooks were valuable, isnt there a tale in the Kojiki (or Nihongi...Im no Shintoist...) of some brothers who fell out over a lost fishhook...its easy to understand why.)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Aha ^^ the mystery has been resolved thanks for that really clarifying how to Kepis, it really helps bring the mysteries to the light ^^
Yours sincerely, a little wiser man, Ruud

I've seen a lot of these hooks being made, never seen anyone catch a fish on one though.
I hasten to add, I made one using just a burnt match (the burning provides a hardened sharp point) and a thread from my shirt. I tried to make it as small as possible and it held a 1.5kg weight. I never tried it out though, it was still too big for the weight (or size) of fish it would be possible to catch. I think I prefer the bone or thorn 'toggle' method.
Be interested to see photo of the hook you made

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE