First walking stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have just completed my first walking stick. The wood i used is Hazel. I cut it in November 2008 and have been seasoning it in my shed.
tumbstivck.jpg

The end finish was a bit of an accident really. I had some soot on my hands from my billy can, which i accidentally got on the blank. I then decided to rub a load of soot in to the stick using my fingers. I then rubbed it down gently with some wire wool, and then with a clean cloth. I then applied a final coat of linseed oil. I am unsure about the end finish but it is growing on me, it looks quite distinctive. Sorry about the pic quality.
stickb.jpg

cheers for looking

That forked hazel is a nice find :cool:,i'm sure the finish will grow on you.

With linseed oil I was told that to get a great finish and keep it protected, that it needs treating "once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year,then once a year for life" or something similar...just dont put too much on as it goes sticky!
Its certainly made a difference putting extra coats on my sticks, it really brings out the grain.
Heres one of my carved (and then painted) birds head sticks on hazel
20091104-_MG_5748.jpg

and another...
20091203-_MG_5767.jpg

Youve started on a slippery slope now, thats how I started with a simple thumbstick. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE