First two knives

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Its been long time coming but I have finally finished making my first two knives ever!

The first is a stick-tang Brusletto blade that came in a kit with a block of curly birch and the brass ferrule. After a slight accident with the birch at the beginning of the project (about a year ago, Uni got in the way unfortunately), I then added the buffalo horn spacer graciously donated by mountainm :)
Its not quite finished as I am going to wax the wood when my order of carnauba wax arrives but otherwise done. Horn has been sanded and polished to a shine with micromesh abrasives. (Sorry the pictures were taken in the garage with a phone so aren't the best!)

d.jpgc.jpg

The second is a HillBill PNK handled in stabilised black ash burl with brass furniture and black liners. Its a little brother to go with the SPB-2 Mark made me himself. I'm pretty happy with this one and is very comfy to hold. Again just finished with micromesh to bring out a really nice high gloss.
a.jpgb.jpg

Both knives were just finished today and I'm taking my scouts on camp for the next few days, so I'll post an update when they're completely done and clothed. Comments welcome.

Thanks for looking :)

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
You've made an amazing job on them mate! The buffalo looks like glass the polish is that good! I love the scales on the HillBills too!!.. BRAVO

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Very nice especially that HillBill

Is that the Jerven blade? I did the same kit :)

Watch the blade. The strong curve does not suit me for carving as it slips way too easy. Great crafting blade tho.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Here's a little update on the horn and birch knife. All finished and waxed now so here's some pictures. I really think the grain has come out and hopefully the hard wax will protect it. The pictures don't really bring out the shine on the horn properly though!
Edit: You can see the reflection of my finger on the horn in the last shot
AIMG_1453.jpgAIMG_1454.jpgAIMG_1456.jpgAIMG_1465.jpgAIMG_1469.jpgAIMG_1473.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE