First trip out of the New Year

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I woke up on the 1st of January and decided to head out for a few days, so I packec up the car and headed north. It was dark by the time I arrived at Loch Etive and it took me a while to find somewhere to set up camp but morning broke to find me at the north end of the Loch set up in a small stand of Alder and Holly looking out over the Loch to the rugged crags of Ben Starav (NN 10850 45010).

After breakfast and a hour or two bimbling about I set of for Glen Coe. A friend had mentioned a campsite that I wanted to try, Red Squirrel Campsite http://www.redsquirrelcampsite.com (~NN 12000 57350). I wanted to give it a go as they allow fires and have plenty of areas for hammock camping.

The first night was wild, with gale force winds whipping up the Glen, at one point I thought my tarp was going to get shredded, in fact I did lose one of the attachment points from the middle of one edge, but my underblanket/quilt combination worked well and kept me warm even though the temperature dropped below zero at one point.

Next day the winds had died down so I re-pitched in a more sheltered spot on the camp, with my DD 3x2 as a wind-break and my new hex-fly set up over my hammock. I got chatting to a couple of people that had a camper-van, they'd been there the first night, but had found it too wild and cold so had decided to pack up. They very kindly gave me half a sack of coal that they'd brought with them, so I had a toasty night by a warm fire despite the snow that had started falling.

That night it snowed on and off with the occasional strong gust of wind, this time I had set up with the Wanderingstar design underblanket and my own homemade underblanket which has a waterproof outer shell. I ended up so warm that I had to strip down to my base-layer to sleep comfortably.

Woke up to the mountains around me covered in snow. I had thought about staying on another night at the campsite, but a blizzard blew in and I figured discretion was the order of the day. I have no doubt that my sleeping set up would have been warm enough to deal with whatever the weather threw at me.

So, if you're looking for a place to camp and like the security of a campsite that also allows fires, I'd heartily recommend Red Squirrel.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Oh Andy_E that sounds fantastic,, I love the cold frosty and snowy nights out, I will make a note and maybe take a trip up there and try it.

Don

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Thanks Fred and Don, only got a few shots with my crappy camera phone, not really worth posting, was beautiful up there though.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Nice to hear you liked the campsite... Never been there before but I am thinking about heading there on Friday for a couple of nights. I bought a Bison Tundra 4 last summer and have only had a chance to use it once and need to get away if for no other reason to get the tent weathered!

KP

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I enjoyed it, very quiet when I was there. I stuck a couple of pics of my setup at the campsite ...

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

Hope you enjoy the place too.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I need a Tardis, or the transporter from the Starship Enterprise. I do miss the hills of the North, but they are so far away from me.

I know that envy is one of the seven deadly sins, but I'm not ashamed to say that I look at your pictures and start sinning!

Geoff :(

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I'm sorry Geoff, for putting temptation in your path. As I said, if anyone is interested in a trip up that way, I'd recommend the site as it's one of the few that lets you have a campfire and has no problem with you hammocking if that what you want to do. It's next to the river Coe and you can buy a fishing permit on-site. They also do block-bookings for 25 or more. For those that like home-luxuries there are hot showers and the toilet blocks were immaculate, of course there were only a dozen people on the whole site at most.

The scene was even better when I woke up to find the hills/mountains around me white with snow, while the valley I was in was still green - later in the day that changed though :D The drive back down the A82 to Glasgow in blizzard conditions was interesting too - hehehe.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Hehe - cheers EdS - the guylines were a God-send - only remembered I had them with me after tripping over paracord a couple of times :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Great looking site, you lucky dog. I would love a trip there, but its about a 9 hour drive so only practical for nothing short of a five day trip

The guys on your tarp, are they the reflective type like on my Hex3?

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Cheers rik, if you ever get up that way it's worth a visit as is Glen Etive.

The guys are flourescent yellow with reflective tape woven into it, courtesy of EdS. :D

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
You would need to have a fire in the camp site in the summer the midges would kill you. The garage usually sells logs.

Never camped in Glencoe usually stay at a friends who lives there.
The view from his living room
DSCF0657.jpg

Picture taken 02 December 2003

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Yeah, there are a lot of spots around the site where there could be standing water, perfect breeding places for midgies. Good thing you're allowed camp-fires.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE