First time

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
Just wanted to share with someone...tonight I finally got to make some charcloth. Just finished playing with...I mean trying...it and I made fire! From sparks and a handful of dead grass. My first attempt and it works.

I know to probably everyone on here that's nothing and they can do it with their eyes closed, but it was my first time and the reaction from SWMBO wasn't exactly overwhelming. It felt great though! in a way it felt like something primevil in me came home. I just had to share.

Thanks to everyone on here for inspiring me to try it. I fear it could be the start of a slippery slope though... :wave:

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
nice one mate

that feeling of having acchieved something is what it is all about :wave:

as for doing anything with eyes closed.......

nah it is never that simple i think that is what makes the whole idea of bushcraft so appealing

it may loooooook simple :wink:

Tant

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Well done mate!
I know most people on here rub sticks and stuff, but the satisfaction from starting your own fire is the same and pretty special no matter how you do it if it is in a traditional way.
Great stuff!

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Congratulations. Making fire, be it with flint and steel or friction, is a really great feeling. You will always fondly remember that big stupid grin it gave you :biggthump

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Well done mate :super: bushcraft is food for the spirit and food for the soul no one here will ever do anything with their eyes shut keep them open and take it in and enjoy life :wink:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Top stuff mate, by making your own char you are one step closer to freedom from the modern firelighters.

With a carbon steel knife, a flint you find on the trail and your charcloth you can make fire!!

Well done.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Excellent work :biggthump ..... I can see you now.... trying everything in the house to see if you can get a spark from it to light you new char ;-)

Keep it up
:)
Ed

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Top job! It was only recently that I got to the point where I could reliably start a fire from sparks and I don't even bother looking at matches anymore! My next hurdle is fire by friction and I'm getting that little bit closer on every try. I really can't wait until I can do it reliably!

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I feel very pleased with myself as I have just made char cloth and managed to light it with my flint and steel, a first for me! khimbar your not the only one still learning things like this.

Brian

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Good on Ya Khimbar....... I had the same bored sounding "well done" from my wife when I finally made fire by Friction a few weeks ago.....now I can do it more or less at will.....but I was dancing round the room when I first did it and just wanted to tell EVERYONE!!!!! :super:

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Well done,

Once you've done something the first time you KNOW you can do it so that helps. We're all learning, that's one of the good things about the bcuk site, eveyone has something they can learn from the others, no matter how much bushcraft they do just because things are different in different places.

Keep at it and I'm looking forward to the next time you say, 'Wow got another skill'.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Nice one Khimbar.

I still get pleasure from lighting fires from Charcloth with flint and steel, and from bow drill as If I was doing it for the first time. I practise at every opportunity, because I don't take it for granted that I can do it.!!...... It took me a long time to learn until persistance paid off and that day when It first came together I'll not forget. I showed a friend of mine bow drill yesterday whilst out for a walk in the woods. I did the whole bit from collecting the Tinder (Clematis and Birch Bark) buffing it up, making a set from what I could find. (red Cedar and Hazel) She's never seen it before and told me it was 'miraculous' (her words not mine) It's a damn fine feeling no matter how many times you do it, the magic never goes away. Well done mate :super:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE