First time leather work

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
nice work there... quality items! I'm working on my first attempt too... just waiting to get a hold of a decent v-gouge... hope mine turn out as decent as yours.

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
Cheers guys very much appreciated.i didn’t have any leather work tools so I think I might invest in some as it was pretty satisfying to be able to nock up my own items.

I used a carpet cutting stanly knife .my mams old leather punch an old press drill a decent metal ruler and as I don’t have the proper tools to mark out where to mark I used a fork to make the marks were to drill for the stitches..:laugh:

Think I’m going to invest in some leather tools

Couple of pictures of the forked marking technique lol

https://postimg.org/gallery/1vlu4euni/

Last edited:

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
Cheers guys very much appreciated.i didn’t have any leather work tools so I think I might invest in some as it was pretty satisfying to be able to nock up my own items.

I used a carpet cutting stanly knife .my mams old leather punch an old press drill a decent metal ruler and as I don’t have the proper tools to mark out where to mark I used a fork to make the marks were to drill for the stitches..:laugh:

Think I’m going to invest in some leather tools

Couple of pictures of the forked marking technique lol

https://postimg.org/gallery/1vlu4euni/

thaz great! whatever gets the task done eh :) what did you use to make a v groove inside the sheath, to make it easier to fold over?

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
thaz great! whatever gets the task done eh :) what did you use to make a v groove inside the sheath, to make it easier to fold over?
I didn't make the sheath mate just modified it . I did take it full apart tho and there is no v grove inside the sheath. From some videos I've watched on YouTube not all people use a v grove they just wet the inside of the leather and wet form it in to shape which is what I did with the axe belt loop. I did have to cut a v in the belt tho where it raps around the buckle and I also cut two small v in the axe belt loop to bend the sharp 90 degree bends to wher it sits inside the other leather to form the loop which the belt will go through... I just used a really sharp stanly blade and held it at a bit of an angle and cut a v in ..... not professional I know but it still worked . If your planing on doing a sheath just try wetting the inside of the sheath a little and then bend it over and hold it in place for a bit .... if you use a clamp to hold it in place while it dries use some scrap pieces of leather on the mouth of the clamp as they mark the leather.... I found out the hard way lol

Reactions: boubindica

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE