First time hammocker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

whobiggs

Jul 2, 2024
Derbyshire
Hi, I've camped and bivvied for many years but am new to hammocking and so far really struggled to find places near me to do it. It was easy enough to find a bivvy spot behind a hedge but suitable trees and undergrowth is frustrating me. I live in the Derbyshire Dales and really expected to find it easier round here, do you have any tips for locating or identifying good spots? I don't even mind using camp sites but I've yet to find one.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Tensahedron Hammock Stand!

Regarding finding places, it might be interesting to read the latter portion of this thread as a gauge of folks' views on just finding quiet spots. ;)

My own experience has been that steep hillside locations often have trees and hammocks work there. The reality though is that hammocks in the UK are not really good unless you have a known regular location that you have permission to use. It is hard to find campsites, or sites along a trail, where a hammock will work more conveniently than a small tent or ground tarp.

Hammocks were popularised by folk doing the Appalachian trail, lots of forest, lots of hills, not many flat spots. Also, at a time that tents were heavier. The Eastern US has some nasty spiders, snakes, ticks and other bugs, and high summer humidity, so again hammocks could be nicer than an open tarp on the ground. Very different from our open hills.

I love my hammock, but I recognise it has limitations. It was great in the forest of Norway and Sweden, and of course in the jungle, but was something of a PITA in the western USA unless I was in a forested area, when it became great again. ;)

Reactions: whobiggs

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I concur - good hammock spots are more difficult to find than good tarp/bivvy spots in most of the UK. Having said that, most bushcraft 'meets' are in or near woodland; maybe see what's going on in your area and get involved with a group?

Welcome to the forum BTW :)

Reactions: Ystranc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE