First symmetrically wrapped axe !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PederVisti

Forager
Aug 1, 2012
Western Jutland - Denmark
Hello there!
I posted this on a bladesmiths forum, but thought that you might like to see it as well:

I took the plunge on a different approach to axe making today!
I recently bought James Austins dvd on how to forge an asymetric axe head, and wanted to explore this method myself. However, i was not exactly thrilled about forging down such massive stock which it requires! So as a compromise i decided to try a symmetric wrap instead, this allowed me to use smaller stock, since the material is effectively doubled on itself!
Starting material was 10 x 35 x 205 mild steel flat, with a bit of ck60 running all the way through the weld!
The axe weighs 450 grams, and the cutting edge is 70mm (2 3/4")

Here the axe is as forged, the mild steel forged much easier than the medium carbon core, and so i had to take a fair bit of material off to expose the seam:

Here the axe is ground:

I etched the edges quickly to see the welds (sort of):

And a picture with the starting material:

Overall i am happy with it, the welding went very well, and i will definitely do more this way! It was also faster to forge than the axes i slit and drift!

Feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Best regards
Peder Visti

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
I like the design sort of like a tomahawk with a true ax handel. Light weight, so I think it would make a nice belt/camp ax.
Excellent workmanship. I look forward ro see it hafted and in use.:You_Rock_

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Very nice, but I have no knowledge of forging firsthand so no points either way sorry. Only thing I can ask is where the seam meets the eye there is a slight notch, what is the trained eye's view of that?

PederVisti

Forager
Aug 1, 2012
Very nice, but I have no knowledge of forging firsthand so no points either way sorry. Only thing I can ask is where the seam meets the eye there is a slight notch, what is the trained eye's view of that?

Thanks for the compliments, the slight notch at the eye is the result of leaving the steel insert a bit too thin at the eye end, and so it doesn't quite meet the sides for a clean weld! It is one of the things i will improve for the next one! Thanks for the feedback! :)
Best regards
Peder Visti

PederVisti

Forager
Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for the comments!
I got it hafted this afternoon, the haft is ash and 40cm long!
38f94ba0dc7a7a683fed3eea1831403b_zpsckmkfsp2.jpg

Best regards
Peder Visti

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE