First spoon

Fly_Viking

Apr 15, 2012
Not where I want to be!
It might not be the prettiest first spoon but what it has done is given me the bug BAD! Now I just need to find a bigger piece of wood to have a go at a kuksa.

7314929776_7b5d5bf67c_z.jpg

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
That's a terrific first effort.
My own first one never got finished and was covered in my blood.
I kept it to remind me to be careful!
Cheers,
Simon

Fly_Viking

Apr 15, 2012
Not where I want to be!
Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I had a few problems getting to all parts of the bowl. Will it make it easier next time if I get a lefty spoonie as well or is it just my inexperience?

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
That looks a very nice, and good first spoon to me, and regarding the lefty spoon knife, it is possible
I heard of people preferring to have both but it shouldnt be necessary, but some times it takes a while to be able to hear what the wood tells you as you are carving it, just listen to the grain. and dont cut against is, it doesnt like that ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
You are not wrong in that at all Viking not at all, that is in start when forming the bowl the way to go, but if you start lifting the blade out of the bowl again and the wood no longer has allot of material behind it which gives it strength, by backing it up you could start separating fibers.
For finishing of the bowl to make it nice and smooth without sandpaper, you will use your spoonknife in the direction of the running grain, but only if you are sinking down into it , do not try to cut along the entire bowl stop at the centre, cause as you are going up again, you will cut against the grain while there is no material backing the wood up and you will get tear out, and chattering.
forgive me for the vast volume of words yet I find it difficult to describe this in mere words, I will search for a good video, and post one If I find one ^^
Ps these are also techniques I picked up and enjoyed as they really work for me, if there are better ways to do this, please inform us Woodcarving pro's
Yours sincerely Ruud

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
No problem at all Viking, I couldnt how ever find a good video with a clear explanation of what I wanted to show you but I will draw somehting up if I get some time off in my schedule somewhere soon, I will post them here then ^^
Goodluck on your next one, spoon carving is addictive ^^
Yours sincerely, a mere novice himself ,
Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE