First spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
Finally finished my first spoon!

Lacking a proper spoon knife I finally decided to give the 'blow on an ember' boring method a chance. It worked beatifully I must say. You can however still see some scorch marks on it, but hey! What the heck.

It's made of garden-wood (wolmanised pine?) on the back you can still see a bit of the greenish impregnation stuff (wolmanisation-salt?).

I only dipped it in olive oil, so I hope this will waterproof it a bit and give it the chance to survive some outdoor diners.

IMGA1608Small.jpg

the back

IMGA1606Small.jpg

the front

IMGA1609Small.jpg

and the side.

By the way, it is hanging from a willow bark cord

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bob,

I think the scorch marks add an authenticity that wouldn't be there with a spoon knife - I like that a lot mate - them as knows will love the ember technique

Red

Monkey

May 16, 2005
Lee-on-Solent
That is a great looking spoon, and I echo the comments about the great looking grain pattern. I am on my second spoon and I have already leaned a lot by my mistakes that I made on the first attempt. Such as that I found that the rim of the bowl would crumble away due to the large distance between the growth rings and the softness of the wood. I have some hawthorn that I am using at the moment, and for #3 I am looking for some Lime wood, but it is proving difficult.
great work keep it up!
cheers
monkey

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
Thanks all for the lovely comments!

Monkey said:
I am on my second spoon and I have already leaned a lot by my mistakes that I made on the first attempt. Such as that I found that the rim of the bowl would crumble away due to the large distance between the growth rings and the softness of the wood. monkey
I get what you mean, Monkey, both with scorching as well as sanding the dark growth rings proved A LOT harder then the soft lighter parts. It took quite some effort to make it smooth. I guess the soft parts wear harder as well when in use.

The next one should have the rim at a dark part I guess...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Please pardon my skeptisism...but that is WAY too pretty to be your first spoon!! :D Lovely shape. So many first spoons look more like laddles...or sometimes even clubs :rolleyes: so you can be justifiably proud of that one!

If it were me though, I would be a little worried about using it for food. I really don't know anything about the stuff used to pressure treat timber, but I don't think I would want to share my soup with it.

Good luck with your next project!

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
C_Claycomb said:
Please pardon my skeptisism...but that is WAY too pretty to be your first spoon!! :D Lovely shape. So many first spoons look more like laddles...or sometimes even clubs :rolleyes: so you can be justifiably proud of that one!

If it were me though, I would be a little worried about using it for food. I really don't know anything about the stuff used to pressure treat timber, but I don't think I would want to share my soup with it.

Good luck with your next project!
Spot on, C_Claycomb ! It is not my firt ATTEMPT for a spoon. :rolleyes: It was just the first thing that turned out to look like one as well. I've done some woodcarving on sticks and twigs for quite some time already, but things like animal heads and stuff. The first spoon I produced was yew and ended up like a tea spoon. I also didn't figure out how to post pics then. This is the first one I've sanded though, and that really does the trick.

longshot said:
beautifull spoon but don't use it for eating, the copper based chemicals used in the pressure treating is toxic.

dean

Aha!! so now I've got the reason why my skin turned green on me as well and I give light in the dark :D :eek:

And I thought the salad I ate with it yesterday was turning bad.... :1244:

by the way, I also stirred my tea with the yew one... thrill-seeker me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE