first solo hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
im going for my first solo (probs as my mates always seam to chicken out at the moment) hammock.

just thought id share,

any scary monsters to watch out for in forest row?? :p

Lonja

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
im going for my first solo (probs as my mates always seam to chicken out at the moment) hammock.

just thought id share,

any scary monsters to watch out for in forest row?? :p

Lonja

watch out for widow makers!!!! i.e: dead branches in the top of the canopy.... damn hard to spot but name explains all....

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I really enjoy the solo trips out, but don't get the chance often enough these days.

I always take something to occupy myself - a good book or a craft project passes the time nicely.

Enjoy your trip...just don't watch Dog Soldiers before you go:yikes:

Simon

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
I really enjoy the solo trips out, but don't get the chance often enough these days.

I always take something to occupy myself - a good book or a craft project passes the time nicely.

Enjoy your trip...just don't watch Dog Soldiers before you go:yikes:

Simon
must go download and watch dog soldiers now... :p ...........
il leave that till next week...........

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
when out last night at 1945, setup camp, whent for a short camera walk in the woods, but it was already too dark for any decent pics :( .

it had been cloudy all day so i when with: it will be a warm dry night!.

went to bed at 2130.

woke up suddenly at about 2300 to footsteps approaching, they came right up to the hammock before i realized there were 4 feet not 2!!!! phew!!!!!!!!!!!!, i turn around, and find a deer standing almost withing touching distance.

0130: wake up to rain, (no tarp) so first try to sling my jacket over myself to keep dry then decide to crawl inbetween the two layers on my travel hammock, this worked to a certain extent, still woke up wet and cool a couple of times,

then at 5 when its almost light, i break camp, and head home, as im taking the hammock down, an owl chases something small into a hole under my hammock and lands on a branch 3metres away and looks me in the eye for a good 10 seconds before flying back.

now at home wide awake, and listinng to music writing this

no pics sorry even though i took tripod and remote, it was too dark.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
i stayed out last weekend with the hennessy and was very comfy only to discover that i had a choice of rat pak beans and sausage or mre grilled chicken and cornbread stuffing so had that with chicken soup.had air rifle with me with new night vision on it.wish i hadnt as i could see all those beasties waiting to pounce! honestly the scariest thing in the woods is you.i agree look up before hanging the hammock for large dead wood.
ade

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
when out last night at 1945, setup camp, whent for a short camera walk in the woods, but it was already too dark for any decent pics :( .

it had been cloudy all day so i when with: it will be a warm dry night!.

went to bed at 2130.

woke up suddenly at about 2300 to footsteps approaching, they came right up to the hammock before i realized there were 4 feet not 2!!!! phew!!!!!!!!!!!!, i turn around, and find a deer standing almost withing touching distance.

0130: wake up to rain, (no tarp) so first try to sling my jacket over myself to keep dry then decide to crawl inbetween the two layers on my travel hammock, this worked to a certain extent, still woke up wet and cool a couple of times,

then at 5 when its almost light, i break camp, and head home, as im taking the hammock down, an owl chases something small into a hole under my hammock and lands on a branch 3metres away and looks me in the eye for a good 10 seconds before flying back.

now at home wide awake, and listinng to music writing this

no pics sorry even though i took tripod and remote, it was too dark.

you didnt take a tarp?

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
i have to say, a quick weather check before i pack is always part of my routine. getting wet in the middle of the night is (almost:rolleyes:) never fun. good on you for sticking it out. think i would of huffed off home :)

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
come on it was dry all week, its simply sods law that it would rain on the night i went out

whilst i appreciate the weather has been good recently... its... the ...UK!!!! kudos to you on sticking it out! i would have prob come home... but you really should have had a wee peak on the way out at the weather forecast....

i always use http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsfaxbra.html

i honestly dont think you can get a better weather forecast anywhere else...

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
i sail so getting weather info is not a problem but thanks for the advice,

I don't think I've ever slept in my hammock without a tarp yet, I must remember to try it one night.

its way nicer cos you get to see the wood more, and the sky, (if in a light wood)

and anyway it says on the bag it double as a bivvi, (it doesnt, but its still a great hammock)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE