First sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
This is the first sheath I've ever made.
It is made from sheepskin taken from an old jacket, and the thread is whipping twine for whipping the ends of ropes. I punched the holes for the sewing using a bradle, then threaded the twine through them.
front:
2938136757_036e73cee9.jpg

back:
2938986932_c718220e7f.jpg

trimming the excess wool off took ages with the sissors, next time I may try a shaver.
any comments, ideas or critisims?
p.s. apologies for the dodgy camera work, i'll try to get better pictures soon

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Like it. You definately get kudos for using recycled sheepskin, whipping twine (waxed linen?), and using a bradle.. what is a bradle anyway?

For getting rid of hair on hides, you can wet the flesh side thoroughly and then torch the hair off the other side. Use a comb to remove the "wooly leftovers", and then give it a quick torching to get rid of the stubblies.

Good work for your first sheath! Whatcha going to make with the rest of the jacket?

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Like it. You definately get kudos for using recycled sheepskin, whipping twine (waxed linen?), and using a bradle.. what is a bradle anyway?

For getting rid of hair on hides, you can wet the flesh side thoroughly and then torch the hair off the other side. Use a comb to remove the "wooly leftovers", and then give it a quick torching to get rid of the stubblies.

Good work for your first sheath! Whatcha going to make with the rest of the jacket?

a bradle is actualy spelled bradawl (only just found this out) and is basicaly a thin awl with a bevled point, intended to make small holes in wood for the placement of screws ect. the tip for removing the hairs is much appreciated, it took me ages with the sissors, and my finger still feels a bit funny.

my next project is annother attempt at a sheath, making use of lessons learned from this attempt, and maybe a possibles pouch.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
my second attempt:
same basic construction and matiriels as last time although the belt loop is a seperate sewed on peice this time. the part covering the handle is longer (the first was slightly too short) and it also has a slightly longer blade section, because on the first one the point of the blade was threataning to poke through the bottom. I blacked it up with boot polish.
front:
2946504887_c34e1a3d38.jpg

back:
2947363388_c2e9aea4c9.jpg

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Way to go on your second already! This one looks even better, closer to the profile of the knife. The black matches the knife well.

Todd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE