First rabbit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Just a quick one. Do I need to hang rabbit before skinning it. I just bagged my first with my recently aquried HW35. I'm still pretty chuffed with it all but just not sure if I get on and skin it or hang it for a couple of days.

Thanks guys

Bill

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
i gut em immediately and skin em when i get home or even the next morning if i'm lazy

have heard some say they are less tough if you let them unstiffen before cooking

sorry if this is a bit gruesome i tried to keep it as toned down as possible under the circumstances

Tant

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Paunch it as soon as it's dead, leave the extracts somewhere discrete for nature to recycle. I tend to skin and joint as soon as I've got it home an use straight away, store in the fridge and use within a couple of days or stick in the freezer for longer storage. No need to hang rabbit, hare does need hanging but I see so few I leave them be.
Cheers
David

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
And don't hit the stomach or guts.... :wink: It stinks. We tried killing hens at school and then skin them and then cut them to see what was inside (we had a biology project), but then we hitted the guts and it stank like :censored: ....

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
All done, thanks for the input guys. Knew I could count in you for a prompt answer. Don't get a lot of meat on one do you.

Bill

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
depends on size lol

back legs and lower back should get ya 3 portions

ribs and forelegs may be better saved for a 4 legged friend tho. Prolly the best thing is to boil em up and take the meat off the bone just in case dog chokes on little bones

Tant

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
my grandad showed me the easiest way to deal with a rabbit a long time ago

i would like to share it

cut the belly open with a long ways cut from between the legs up to the ribs
Then hold the rabbit , ears in one hand , back legs in the other

A swift swing (sort of holding the rabbit at arms length and turning 180 degrees) and 99% of the innards will come (flying) out

leaving mostly chest stomach and liver to remove

nice and easy

Tant

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
And make sure that everyone else wears waterproofs in case they get splatted!

Great methd though!

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Tantalus said:
A swift swing (sort of holding the rabbit at arms length and turning 180 degrees) and 99% of the innards will come (flying) out
Tant

Outside! do it outside!
One rabbit usualy does two people when I prepare it. If I have guests I'll often debone the meat, breadcrumb it and fry it and stick alongside a load of tappas without saying a word about what it is.

Rabbits aren't too bad to do - and you get a neat fluffy skin to cure, save the leg and back tendons too - they're a bit short but you can make thread out of them. The worst I've had so far was well hung partridges, they smelt a great deal and the cat kept trying to make them move.

Realgar

PeterW

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2004
Nottinghamshire
The way we do them is to lie them on their fronts and go through the skin on the back, and slide up along the backbone. Pull the skin away from the inner membranes - dont use a knife, just use your fingers....

Pull the skin down the legs front and back and keep pulling up to the neck. You end up with a 'bunny handbag'...!

Chop the feet off with a sharp knife/stick or axe, then pull the skin up over the head and cut the head off at the neck - you've now got a complete bunny skin with the feet and head attached. The fur round the anus is probably still intact, so just leave it.

The nice thing is that the guts are still held in the membrane. Turn it onto its back, and cut the membrane carefully. Cut up to the rib cage, then tip the guts out. Cut off the intestine about 6 inches from the anus, and then cut a 'V' around it, and a quick pull and the anus and attached fur and intestine will come out in one piece - no contamination !!

Then push 2 fingers up through the diaphragm, open them and hook the heart and lungs out and pull...!

Thats it....!!!! Its a lot quicker to do it than to write it..!!! Takes one of our guys about 90 seconds.....

We'll be doing a few this weekend if anyone wants a photographic 'how to'......

Cheers

Peter

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
tenbears10 said:
All done, thanks for the input guys. Knew I could count in you for a prompt answer. Don't get a lot of meat on one do you.

Bill
Boned and diced:
1 bunny + a selection of veg = 1 family size pot of stew
1 bunny + 1 pheasant + a bit of venison + the basis for a brill game pie
I'd say roast 1 bunny serves 2 to 3.
Cheers
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE