First proper go at a spoon.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pockets

Jun 19, 2014
United Kingdom
First proper go at a spoon for a friend. Not quite finished yet though.

13321721_10153851886823075_4122771240548682516_n.jpg

Pockets

Jun 19, 2014
United Kingdom
They are runes i got of the net. They say LOU, which is my friends name.

The wood is still a bit green, it didn't like it when I tried to sand it. Ah well, live and learn. Just gonna wait for it to dry out a bit.

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
If you keep the spoon in a plastic bag full of wet chippings it will prevent it from splitting as it dries after a few days it should be ok for sanding. I believe there is 2 runic alphabets an early one and a later one. I always learnt the O is a funny shaped F and the O shape you have used means NG :cool:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yup. Damp wood won't sand. I like the wood in the handle, should give it a nice balance. If you dare thin the rim of the bowl void, it makes the spoon bowl appear thinner.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Yup. Damp wood won't sand. I like the wood in the handle, should give it a nice balance. If you dare thin the rim of the bowl void, it makes the spoon bowl appear thinner.

I agree with Robson on these points.

As your first proper go this is excellent your friend should be very happy when you give this to her.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Great first project, as with most of the stuff we have a go at, we learn by doing.:)
For colouration of inscribed letters or runes powdered cinnamon works really well. That said, your friend will love it due to your time put into making it.
I look forward to your next one.

Rob.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
If it's a carved spoon, I like it...Nice job! The surface will take a better finish when it's dry. I like the way you did the runes on the handle too. Keep at it...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE