First post and first spoon w/pics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thatch

Feb 17, 2007
Norway
Hello everyone.

This will be my first post here at the forum. I've been a member for a couple of years, but I have just been lurking around and reading all of the excellent information on the site.

Tonight I decided to have a go at making my very first spoon. I did not have any decent wood to make it from, so I had to use spruce because that was the only wood I had.
I thought I would just experiment a little and try to find a way to make one. Even if I did'nt go well I would atleast have gained some experience, and maybe learned what not to do the next time.

As it turns out, I was actually able to make a pretty decent first-spoon.(My own opinion anyway) I was very pleased with the shape and size of it, and it felt great in my hand. But offcourse something had to go wrong. I carved the bottom part of the handle too thin, so the "cup" broke off when I was hollowing it out. I tried to glue it back on, but that didnt work very well as I didnt have any decent glue either. So I just popped a couple of small nails in there just to hold it in place. I really didnt care that it looked weird when the spoon was ruined anyway. So when it broke of, I decided not to finish it, that's why it looks quite ragged. But like I said, I was happy with the shape and size of it, so I will keep it as a memory. I will definently try to make more spoons, hopefully next time I will have some decent wood to make it from.

Here is a couple of pictures of the spoon:
img_5201-20.jpg

img_5203-20.jpg

img_5204-20.jpg

img_5205-20.jpg

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
'Frankenspoon'!

Better than my first ever attempt - I carved the wrong bit if the handle away so it was totally unstable and you just spilled food everywhere.

Well done - let's have another soon!

thatch

Feb 17, 2007
Norway
So I tried again today, and this time it went a lot better. I learned from the mistakes I made yesterday. The biggest difference today was that I carved it a bit thicker, and hollowed out the cup of the spoon before carving the handle. Spent a couple of hours just sitting in the sun and carving, I think I have a new hobby =) it was really satisfying to see things take shape as I went along. I am happy with the way it turned out, keeping in mind it was only my second attempt to carve a spoon. Here are some pictures:

Started with one of these:

100_percent_cherry_firewood_pile.jpg

Ended up with this:

img_5207-20.jpg

img_5214-20.jpg

img_5215-20.jpg

img_5216-20.jpg

thatch

Feb 17, 2007
Norway
Actually I have not tried to carve anything specific before, but growing up on a farm in the norwegian woods I have been using a knife since I was big enough to hold one. It's only in recent years I have started to take an interest in actually creating/building things instead of using the knife just for work related things.

When I was 15 my family moved to the city, and most of my chilhood knowledge of the woods slowly disappeared. I really didnt have a big interest in those things at that time, so other things occupied my time. But now I'm sick of the city and I go hiking and camping as often as I can. I grew up in the woods and thats where I feel at home.

Hoping to develop my bushcraft skills, learn new thing and hopefully start to remember some of the things I know but have forgotten. It's in there somewhere. :D

thatch

Feb 17, 2007
Norway
As I've never really made anything like this before, I don't really know how to take care of it. Should I soak it in some sort of vegetable oil or something like that? Or will that leave a "taste" on the spoon? What have people used? Maybe it's not even necessary to oil it?

I welcome any good tips on what to do to take care of the spoon

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
As I've been told when I asked that same question, you can leave it alone and not oil it if it's going to be used and it will develop a nice patina with use, or you can soak it in oil for a few days and then let it dry, or you can rub in oil but I'm still a little fuzzy on that process... The oils that seem to be good for the job are walnut oil (unless you have a nut allergy of course) or linseed oil, not boiled linseed oil (cause it's usually toxic), also called flax seed oil I think... Maybe that's something else entirely though, I forget.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE