first piece of bushcraft

Aug 11, 2008
melbourne
hi all
just performed my first piece of bushcraft of sorts
i have just gotton a cottonball full of petroleum jelly to light up at the first time of asking
a small thing i know by your standards but still i cant seem to wipe the smile from my face
onward and upward

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Well done - but no need to think that it is just a small thing that you have done. We all have to start somewhere, and bushcraft is such a huge area that we are all still doing something for the first time, and still getting that thrill of something working.

Just keep on experimenting and learning...and asking questions and telling people about what you do.

ATB

Geoff

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
No small thing indeed, you have just succeeded in performing one of the most important skills, in this pastime of ours, it is a skill which you will redo many many time in the future.
Also imho one of the skills which could save your life at some point although I hope that you never find yourself in that predicament.
Well done!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I must say that over the years I have tried quite a few different ways of creating fire, different in both the techniques and the materials used. I don't use cotton wool and vaseline personally, but that isn't to say it doesn't work extremely well though! It's just a bit too messy for my liking! I also sit firmly in the natural stuff camp mainly these days, so birch bark peelings, funghi of all sorts and that sort of thing. It is nice to try and light a candle or feather sticks with a ferro rod, but I doubt I'd use it when I needed to. Birch bark peelings are always easy to find, most of my pockets have a few bits of birch peelings in them!

Aug 11, 2008
melbourne
thanks for your input spamel
as yet i dont know what a beech tree looks like here in my part of aus its the middle of winter and raining so its baby steps all the way
once i get myself a book on aus trees i can then begin to tell one from another
i will however try to light a candle with a fire stick
interesting what you can pick up here

thanks

john

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
That amazing mate, nice one!
Wasn't aware of that method so i googled it and found this site - it seems pretty goodk. This forum is great for newbies like myself. Going to have to try it out now.
Thanks for sharing baltar

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE