First overnighter, what'll I forget?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tigger004

Feb 27, 2011
Northants
Was going to take my Zippo hand warmer for spot warming, but wasn't going to use it in the bag for fear of too hot a hot spot. A hot water bottle might be a step too far in terms of pack space... However, I do have an aluminium bottle that I could carry water in... hmmm...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
If I take mine, I wear it around my neck dangling down between my man boobs (a warm heart pumping warm blood is my idea),
I wear it while motorcycling in winter too, but not to fuel pumps 😊

Sent by Tigger from my Tablet

Tigger004

Feb 27, 2011
Northants
Take two loo rolls, in separate plastic ziplock bags. Useful to wipe your hands, as a firestarter, hankie...
Two in case one gets wet.
Moss is vey hardcore. Once is enough.
Wet wipes are perfect, carry them out in a degradable dog bag for disposal at home or a dog walking bin, it's only one night

Sent by Tigger from my Tablet

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Thanks all! Good point with wet wipes, most of our day camps include at least my own kids (4 and 6) and wet wipes and hand sanitizer are in evidence. In fact, they are probably still in my pack...
If I don't take wet wipes and/or loo roll I frankly deserve everything I get now!

A couple of you have mentioned a wee bottle now. I am by no means a seasoned hammocker, but how on earth can you pee in a bottle, in a hammock! I've always simply got up and gone when camping previously, enjoying climbing back into a warm bag as much as the relief of emptying. I fear if I try and utilise a bottle the end result will be an empty bladder, empty bottle, cold wet sleep and a trip to the laundromat... I'll stick to what I know for now :)

Hand warmer usually goes on the highest pocket in my jacket/smock so same theory there Tigger for a warm core but easy to good in my hands for a bit as needed.

As for a little brandy... Tempting for the morning coffee but apart from the odd G&T I don't really do shorts. Hip flask of gin and a couple of cans of tonic might be a refreshing luxury though.

Some reading material is a plan, possibly some "homework" for my forest schools level 3. Tree ID might be something to enjoy.

Again, thanks everyone, I was looking forward to it, an now doing so with a chuckle as I see myself swearing vociferously at myself for forgetting loo roll, looking for moss without too many pine needles in!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have never slept in a hammock, so I can not imagine how to use a bottle for 'No 1' in one. I prefer to quickly sneak out from the warm sleeping bag, water a tree then snuggle back....
Wet wipes? Not a bad idea, but a small bottle of rubbing alcohol and toilet paper has the same effect.
As I recommended earlier, go light. Less stuff to carry and loose.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Also a Kindle, Tablet or good Book. While's away the hours on these dark long winters nights :)

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
And a GPS. NightVision binoculars might be handy too.
:)
You may laugh Janne, but my girls and I have often wondered what wildlife frequents our camp at night. There is a chance that I may take a camera trap if I have some space in order to try and answer that question :)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You may laugh Janne, but my girls and I have often wondered what wildlife frequents our camp at night. There is a chance that I may take a camera trap if I have some space in order to try and answer that question :)

Do you really want to know?
I have heard loads of weird noises, but prefer not to see what makes them. Not sure what I would do if it was big, hairy and had large teeth!
The scariest sound is from mating foxes.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Do you really want to know?
I have heard loads of weird noises, but prefer not to see what makes them. Not sure what I would do if it was big, hairy and had large teeth!
The scariest sound is from mating foxes.
I've heard foxes in the night and yes, is not a friendly sound! I was also in my garden with the house open and lights on so wasn't too challenging :) It'll catch them in my sleep so it'll either be evidence, or interesting but I doubt it'll catch much. Would love a fox or badger but will be happy with anything more interesting than a bird.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I loved watching hedgehogs. I never had a proper night seeing equipment, just an optic sight with high dusk value.
Boar can be scary. Lots of "piggy" noises. The scary bit is if a baby ventures too close to you and the mother comes to protect it. Had a close encounter years ago in Hungary.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Well, I made it! As long as I'm here for breakfast I guess it'll count, first wildcamp...
7ed6bac7203e84b889e972a591275d33.jpg

101b08255994a0cc28937e0a6f284f09.jpg

I've fed myself at least :)

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Cmon then! How did it go, what did you use, are ye gonna' eat all tha... sorry, Give u the report.
Brief report (to be expanded) yes I went, yes it was brilliant, yes I am going again.
I did price to things...
1 I'm not that organised!
2 I'm certainly no filmmaker :)

More to follow... But it did include...
4253cd629ee1d0bf429665119c912052.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have never slept in a hammock, so I can not imagine how to use a bottle for 'No 1' in one. I prefer to quickly sneak out from the warm sleeping bag, water a tree then snuggle back....
Wet wipes? Not a bad idea, but a small bottle of rubbing alcohol and toilet paper has the same effect.
As I recommended earlier, go light. Less stuff to carry and loose.

The 1ltr wide mouth Nalgene in clear plastic. Can't exactly pee lying down, but it helped me out.

I used a glow in the dark one for drinking water and had to get a screw in cap to be able to drink from it without spilling. The wide mouth is easy to get a washing up brush into for cleaning. Didn't learn this hammocking, had a hip operation that made getting to the loo really difficult.

Anyway, looks like you had a good time. And some excellent food and lovely warm fire. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE