First Outing of the Year

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

.XII.

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2010
Dartmoor
In that listless, stressfull void between the new year starting and anything of significance actually happening I decided i needed to get away from it all. the walk i eventually decided on was a nice easy down-hill route taking in some of the awesome industrial archiology that makes up so much of Dartmoor.

Starting off at the pump-house between Merrivale and the Princetown turn-off, visibility was variable at around 200 to 500m.

P7180003.jpg

P7190010.jpg

now trudging along in the howling wind and mist isnt everyones idea of fun, but after 5-10 minutes i flicked into auto-pilot and started enjoying what little of the scenery i could see.

it wasnt just what i could see that caught my attention though..... click the picture below for video

all too quickly i reached Foggintor Quarry, but with the sun still low on the horizon and the clouds rushing by my face i decided to put exploring on hold for this time and continue on my way.

P7190012.jpg

P7190013.jpg

my first planned brew break was Swelltor Quarry, suitably enough in the 'Blacksmiths Shop'

P7190017.jpg

soon enough the cloud broke, and at last i could enjoy what i came for - the views.

P7190025.jpg

P7190026.jpg

to make the most of it i decided to head up to the top on near-by Kings Tor.

P7190031.jpg

P7190029.jpg

from there i headed down towards Hucken Tor, before crossing over a style and heading down into the woods..

P7190036.jpg

after a good potter about and another brew i headed along the bridlepath, passing yet more evidence of Dartmoors long history of settlement.

P7190047.jpg

P7190049.jpg

the staddle stones were a bit of a surprise, i havent sen them at any other sites i've visited on the moors.

P7190051.jpg

and so i carried on down the path, ending up in the Dartmoor Inn, just below Merrivale Quarry, the perfect place to finish a great days walking ;)

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Thanks for posting the pics after being stuck in the office for the day nice to see a bot of the outdoors :)

All the best

Rich

.XII.

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2010
Dartmoor
thanks guys :)

i wanted to attach a google-earth route file that would give you a fly-over of my walk, but the forum up-loader wouldnt allow me to attach a .kmz file :(

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Awesome, yet a bit eery looking terrain you got there.
Judging by all the moss quite a bit to much moist for my liking....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE