First mini ornament

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Off to district camp this weekend with the scouts and one of the leader challenges is to provide a monopoly board playing peice with a base no more than 3cm.
Lacking the usual imagination I thought I would play with a peice of ash and my trusty knife.
Took longer to burn the cup image than the carving duw to a low powered soldering iron.
Only made a few spoons and a fork etc in the past.

Thought I'd share

Attachments

• WP_000379.jpg
    WP_000379.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 98

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Thanks, did not know the name for the actual tool for the markings. After searching for pyrography pen on amazon they look just like soldering irons with changable tips and interestingly the cheap ones are only 30w which is a lower rating than the first one I used.
The back end was finished at work using the gas soldering irn with a fine tip as I could not find the tips for my own unit at home so relied on electrickery powered iron instead.
Looking forward to having a play with more wood, not sure if I will get time at district camp this weekend but hope to.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Thanks, did not know the name for the actual tool for the markings. After searching for pyrography pen on amazon they look just like soldering irons with changeable tips and interestingly the cheap ones are only 30w which is a lower rating than the first one I used.
The back end was finished at work using the gas soldering irn with a fine tip as I could not find the tips for my own unit at home so relied on electrickery powered iron instead.
Looking forward to having a play with more wood, not sure if I will get time at district camp this weekend but hope to.
They are. A professional one seems to use a loop instead of a tip ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE