Illuminated Magnifier

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
This is not very traditional crafty, but I did make it, to help out with various other DIY projects. As I approach my mid forties my eyesight is starting to let me down for close work, including needlework, inspecting newly sharpened edges, and electronic soldering (although many components seem smaller now than they were thirty years ago!).

I was contemplating splashing out on something like a Lightcraft illuminated magnifier, but they are a bit pricey, and then I came across a quality four inch glass lens, so I thought I would make something instead. Here is the result.

Magnifier Lamp by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

The lens surround is laminated from circular pieces of plywood, the base is also plywood, and the goose neck is salvaged from an old desk lamp.

LEDs by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Illumination is provided by two 1 Watt LEDs mounted on the underside of the lens surround. These are angled inwards to converge roughly at the focal distance of the lens.

USB rechargeable by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

This device is cordless, powered by a Lithium ion cell, and is usb rechargeable

The innards by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Finally a look through the lens, into the box of tricks. At the top of the box is a TP4056 lithium battery charging module. The big black thing across the centre is a 26650 lithium cell (4200 mAh). At the bottom is a constant current LED driver. All the electronics were bought from eBay, mostly cheap parts, although the battery was the single most expensive part (it does not pay to buy cheap, possibly counterfeit brand or dangerous lithium cells. I like to buy from UK suppliers)

Using the new magnifier is a joy; everything seems so much clearer.

All it needs is a lick of paint, and a flip up lens shade, to avoid unintentional house fires if I leave it on my desk, by the window, on a sunny day!

Thanks for looking.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Not traditional? you jest!
Batteries & Light-bulb’s have been around longer than Ferrocerium rods.

Great piece of work there and looks like it will run quite a while between charges.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE