First Kuksa

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Well, almost a kuksa,
A local farmer has been cutting down some birch trees and I haggled for some of the wood. I haven't carved much with birch before but I'm quite taken with it, easy to shape, takes a good sheen and feels great in the hand.
Tools used for the project are shown with the addition of a little sandpaper (one day I'll be happy with things being left from the blade). Oiled and waxed it feels almost like bone, light, solid and a little rings to it. The slight red stain is from the red wine I had with dinner by way of christening the vessel. I didn't go for a traditional handle as I went with what the wood was telling me!

Might have to get a few more spoon knives with larger curvatures, but otherwise, I'm quite pleased!

IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_3576.jpg

Feel free to critique.

Ogri the trog

Last edited:

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Pete,

That is one beautifully made Kuksa.

I tried making a large Kuksa twice in the past week from dried wood that I had in the wood shed.

The first one developped large cracks when I stupidly took it inside for a night :(
The second one I kept outside in the cold and still there's a small crack developing, really makes me mad, worked for 2+ hours on it using my small forest axe, my mini hatchet and an African adz that I have.

I have no source for "green" Birch wood at the moment or I would give that a try.

Cheers,

Bagheera

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The tree was felled only a day or so before I got to it, so it was pretty green.
Initial hacking was Boxing day, and stored when not being worked in the porch after a dip in the sink to keep it wet.
Carved and hollowed over the following few days - and stored outdoors - with increasing time indoors being worked until New years Day when I started covering it in beeswax overnight and storing it on teh kitchen window sill (cold one).
The last two days have been sanding down to finer grits and coats of Danish oil & beeswax. I recon it'll take a while yet to dry fully, but I'll still not push my luck. Most of the sidewall is about 1/4 inch thick, so I'd like to make the next ones thinner if possible, but that might need even slower drying/carving.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Ogri the trog

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great job Ogri

I started one a while ago but left it to dry out too much so it's like iron now. I really need to get cracking with a new one and hope it turns out as good as yours has.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE