first knives, please comment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Hia everyone, i thought i would have ago at makeing a few knives which i have never done before, so i would like comments on them please, They are made from different steels (quality) and various wood and micarta, i also made the slingshot from micarta.
thanks.:)
IMAG0313.jpg

IMAG0319.jpg

IMAG0315.jpg

IMAG0304.jpg

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
I saw these knives being made and two of them were made for me. they are all just superb you have to hold them to feel the absolute quality i think theres a guy here destined for the makers market well done mate!!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Welcome to BCUK! You've been busy! And you're going to be an asset to the forum, I can see that.

They look great. I love the twisted steel handle, and I like the filework although I prefer it in the tang and not on the blade itself.

What sort of heat treatments are you doing?

gypsy slings

Forager
Sep 2, 2011
yorkshir
the not bad mate culd do a bit better mate lol no the cushty pal a said the wer wen a first saw you making them mate keep them cumming .have you sorted ya price out yet mate a no al bye one

Dec 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Welcome to BCUK! You've been busy! And you're going to be an asset to the forum, I can see that.

They look great. I love the twisted steel handle, and I like the filework although I prefer it in the tang and not on the blade itself.

What sort of heat treatments are you doing?

hia, thanks, a quick overlook of how they are heat treated is they are heat treated to around 1440f (martensite) then quenched blade edge first in oil or water depending on the metal used, then they are tempered at 400f for between 30 to 100 mins again depending on the steel and they all keep a very good edge. ;)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Thought they may have been more feedback

Disappointing I know,.... one thing I've learnt about forums is not to expect a lot of feedback unless you have a lot of 'friends '.......sometimes one has the impression that it's just not worth bothering & stick to being a non participating viewer like most folk......

Good looking & original knives by the way....excellent craftsmanship.goodjob

Last edited:

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Thought they may have been more feedback about them, all are going on the sawps/trade thread.

I know do not let it put you off making though ,It is disappointing to make something and take the trouble to photograph it and upload pics etc and it gets 500 views and 5 comments ,It makes you think whats the point but if it helps one person thats all good.
Your work is really good BTW keep them coming.

I have thought about this before and maybe having a thanks option as they have on BCUSA would help some people just use this instead of replying.

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Tell ya what amazes me, they're all so diverse in their design- I think thats brilliant because lots of folk get 'their' style and I'm guessing it can be kinda limiting??

I'm at the stage of looking and trying to understand the processes so I haven't any useful comments to add, but if I turn out first pieces like this eventually, I would be absolutely ecstatic!!

Dec 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Thank you all for comments, i realy enjoyed makeing them and they will be plenty more to come, im just on with messing about with some folders i'll put some pics up when i finished one.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Some interesting comments..Perhaps Anaml you are a victim of the modern approach to winning as there are no losers allowed now. Nobody fails, everyone wins, it's not 'proper' to criticise and most definitely not in public, so everyone lives in a pink fluffy world where we all love each other.

Ok. second photo, first knife. There is a gap between the right hand scale and the tang at the base of the blade..a fair size gap too...
Same photo, second knife. Possibly the photograph but it appears that the right scale is about 0.25 inch longer than the left..
Same photo, third knife. In my opinion..if you're going to do file work the radius or arc of the filed scallops need to be of a uniform curvature..

As a first attempt I think they are excellent, far beyond anything I could ever dream of doing and I have to say far more original in design and style than some well established makers would ever dare attempt. There is at least one knife there that I would be delighted to own as it looks to be a really good robust working knife.

I don't know you from Adam and the closing comment is not to conform with the desire to make everyone an equal winner, as I don't play that game.
I think you're one to keep an eye on as a potential maker of some really mould breaking first class knives..:)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Hello mate, I'm glad you were not offended. Third photo down, the knives sticking in the log, the one with the white spacer halfway along the handle and the brass? pommel and bolster. Just a personal preference that's all for that style of knife.
Although they are all refreshing in their difference to more commomly seen knives and show considerable skill in their making.

Just to put my comments into context. A long time ago I remember after a really exhausting but successful training exercise a senior NCO said, " If I told you that went very well and that you were good, you wouldn't b***dy well try so hard next time would you?...Right!..now do it again"..:) :) :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE