First knitting sheath

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! They are remarkably fun to make, addictive even!

Found a holly hearth board I made back in '06 and used once and since it was fully seasoned and big enough I've started on another variation on the theme. It carves lovely, we've not decided what sort of animal head to work into the end with the hole in.

image.jpg1_zpsjttb8wnl.jpg

Atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
That's very kind of you to say so. Perhaps when I've got some decent wood and my carving has improved.

well, I think the finished sheath has a bit of character if no great demonstration of skill. I call it the hippodragon for want of a better name.

image.jpg1_zpsdy1l8jxk.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsbsvjru7k.jpg

They all need a few more coats of oil.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Heres the last one i'll be doing for the moment, just roughed out on the band and jig saws. The woods heavily spalted, almost punky, sycamore. 8.5 inches long ( original was 7.5 and heavily chip carved) I will have to varnish it when done to give it some strength. The woods totally unsuitable to be honest , no way I could carve any decoration on this one, thankfully the spalting when oiled is rather attractive .

image.jpg1_zpsqqpxxzwd.jpg

I've got some sanding sealler from my areo modelling days, ill try that I'd it starts to crumble during finishing

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE