First knife making foray

Brandon-C

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2017
Highlands
38193463981_f3b7b48917_o.jpg

38161208602_6b2de20d39_o.jpg

38161208032_c8ee2a7a3a_o.jpg

Was carving a spoon today and halfway through roughing it out I had a thought: I have a damaged Stanley plane sitting on the shelf could i make a something out of the blade? Here Is my first try at knife making, a Japanese kiridashi all done with a dremel using abrassive cutting disks and sanding drums except for the final sharpening which was done on stones. Not perfect but came out razor sharp so i'm fairly pleased and I also have a carving knife scribed out on the other side of steel from the plane.

That being said if I wanted to do this on the regular I'd need to upgrade my tools (an angle grinder and a belt sander would do) as cutting the steel with a dremel took ages and there is only surface area to put the bevel in.

Thanks.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
A good start! the plane blade I think would make a good knife, I make mine out of files, chisel's and my fav steels car springs and anti roll bars!

Brandon-C

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2017
Highlands
Was sparking and flowering pretty good when I was grinding it so seems a decent carbon steel. I do like the idea of reusing steel, there's so much good steel in what most would consider trash. I have a well used nicholson file that's like to make into something when I upgrade my toolset

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE