First knife help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrSpeedyBiker

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2016
Chandlers ford
So I bought a condor Bushlore Blank. I am attempting to handle it, this being my first ever attempt I've come here for help. I have a rough handle shape out of Brazilian oak should I be varnishing it and lacquering it before or after I epoxy it or should I leave it as it is ?

we think we are superior, but nature always wins eventually.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Do that after you've epoxied and pinned, if you choose to do so. Oiled finishes take well to oak. The vast majority of shaping should be done after the scales are fixed

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
Yh, epoxy and pin it then do the shaping, I prefer to oil my handles just because the wood can breath but it's just preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Danish oil, 500ml cola bottle, cling film. Dispose of cola as you see fit, rinse and dry bottle. Cut top off bottle just below the cap, fill with oil, submerge knife blade uppermost after you have done all your shaping and sanding. Wrap clingfilm around the open mouth to cut down on evaporation. Leave it to soak for 24+ hours. Take out, wipe and allow to dry for a week. Size of opening and amount of oil chosen so that you don't spill it everywhere when you put the knife in. Knife in first risks you cutting yourself, or knocking the thing over, so oil in first is better ;)

Varnish always looks terrible and tends to say bad things about the maker.

The exception may be one of the catalyzed varnishes (Rustins Plasticoat was one, I think) or cyanoacrylate superglue. These both require a lot of work to finish well and are worst on a full tang. Not recommended for a beginner wanting a working tool.

Danish oil soaking is not the nicest oil finish, and not the "best" for looks by a long way, but it is durable and very easy. Value to cost is good.

Not sure what "Brazilian Oak" is, maybe Tauari (Curatari oblongifolia)? Not going to be the same as oak (Quercus).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE