First Impressions: Lightweight basha by Kathmandu Trekking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Having heard good reports of these but found no information about them on the web, here is a description of a Kathmandu Trekking tarp I bought this weekend:

This tarp is described as a large (2.5 x 1.8 metres) light-weight basha in olive green rip-stop.

It is made from silicon elastomer proofed nylon which has a light and soft feel. It weighs approx 400 grams and has 16 attachment points around the edges plus one loop in the centre of the sheet.

All attachments are nylon webbing loops, there are no eyelets. The webbing at the intermediate attachement points is sew directly to the tarp fabric. The attachment of the webbing loops at the four corners and the middle of each side is reinforced with an additional patch of cordura style nylon. The centre loop is also reinforced with an extra nylon patch.
Lines of stitching zig zag back and forwards across the webbing patches to spread the load.

There is one full length seam in the tarp. This joins a 30cm strip to the main 150cm wide piece of fabric to to make the 1.8 metre width and is double stitched. This gives the advantage that there is no seam along the "ridge line" to leak. With the seam only 30 cm from one of the long edges, I doubt that the will be a need to seal it.

The tarp packs easily into the small (3 3/4 inch dia x 10 inch long) stuff sack provided.

The tarp cost £29.99 from Soldier of Fortune in Chester, who also sell mail order / internet. Other varieties were available in either olive green or DPM, silicon or PU proofed nylon. Sizes on display went upto 2.5M square and down to 1.5M wide.

My first impression is of a compact and lightweight shelter, decently made for it's budget price. Cheers.

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
Jonny Crockett at Survival school is selling these tarps. I've got a 3 by 3m one from him and it's excellent, and at a reasonable price.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My main tarp is a one of their Basha/tent thingies - excellent - and they made me a special ultra big tarp as well.
Great kit at a budget price in double silicon ripstop - I have never found a single problem with any of their kit, from bivi bags to water collectors.
One of the better small companies.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I use a Kathmandu 2.5 x 2.5m tarp as standard (forest green) - I've recently worked out that I've spent more nights under it than in my tent in the last two years. It's excellent kit. i bought it direct from Kathmandu Trekking.
http://home.freeuk.net/kathmandu/

What he said!
Think mines 2.5 x 2.85 though ok for the hamock and luxury on the ground.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE