First hand drill fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
b4f42d3919e9c6113c7f41992d3c1ec1.jpg

Using clematis hearth and elder spindle. Floating hands technique.

Chuffed to bits as this has took three months to get here. A journey of bruises, blisters, sweat dripping off my face, exhaustion.

When you get it right with materials and technique it's easy to get the ember. It was a long journey though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Congratulations, and very well done :D :approve: bet you're doing the walk about four inches off the ground, and there's a smile cracking your face in half too :)

I just cannot make fire that way at all. I manage the other methods quite reliably, but that one's not happening.

atb,
Toddy

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Thanks. It seems 90% materials and preparation. 10% physical effort.

If you get the 90% right, the last 10% shouldn't have to be bruises, blisters, sweat and exhaustion.

I get stubborn and learn the hard way usually. I guess it feels more of an achievement when you have failed 100 times to finally get one success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DomC

Mar 24, 2013
East Central Florida, USA
Congrats on reaching that milestone...I got my first bd ember February of this year. It's a great feeling and one that will be remembered a lifetime.

DomC

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Well done,that has got me wanting to picking up my hand drill again.I also use a clematis hearth board but use mullein for the drill,I have had smoke but as of yet no ember.Maybe I should try elder ;)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Whooop Whooop, well done chap....;) ;) :):):):):)

the best thing i have done is master the hand drill, it also took me about 3 months too... try and use teasel for a drill, take of the bark by the drill end first though or it can push all your dust away, I found for me poplar was the board that worked....

very well done...:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE