First Forged Knife - Nessmuk

Hi all,

I've been doing stock removal knives for a wee while now and thought that it was time to up the game a bit and forge the whole thing. I had my ex-BBQ forge, a 2lb ball pein hammer and an anvil made out of a sledge hammer head fixed into a leylandii stump :)

Steel is 3mm thick O1 flat stock and the blade is 4 inches long. The bolster is mild steel and the antler crown was bought from highland horn who were excellent to deal with.

I was hankering after a nessie for a while and I'm quite pleased with it. the antler makes it heavier than my wood handled knives. When I started, I planned to remove the hair and the tine from the antler crown but ended up leaving it on. It actually fits very comfortably into the hand as well.

Not so happy with the sheath though, the leather is thin and plan on redoing it when I get my hands on some thick stuff.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Comments appreciated

Thanks,

Chris

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I think the blade looks really good - especially for your first forged blade.

Though that bump in the handle really ruins the lines for me. If you removed it and smooth it over it would make the handle much more comfortable to use IMO.

All the best
Andy

AndyAD

Jun 19, 2011
Cornwall
Well done on your first forged blade!
Nice blade but i have to agree with Mac about that bump! Sand that down and it will fit the hand much better!

Thanks for the comments guys.

The same thoughts did occur to me about the hump. The original intention was to sand it down and make a "classic" nessmuk like the one in the Sears' woodcut. but it just fits so well in my hand I decided to leave it. My hand kind of moulds around it.

picture15.jpg

picture16.jpg

Granted, it probably will restrict the variety of grips I can use the knife with, but Ill keep the knife as a user for a while and see how I get on with it. I can always sand it off later if I find it gets in the way.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited:

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I think the blade looks really good - especially for your first forged blade.

Though that bump in the handle really ruins the lines for me. If you removed it and smooth it over it would make the handle much more comfortable to use IMO.

All the best
Andy
I agree with that it would look a lot better without it .But very nice .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE