First Forage Experience - Nettle Soup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Morning all!

Last night I made nettle soup following a very basic recipe. This was my first experience in foraging - apart from blackberries!

I'll try anything, I really wasn't convinced though until the blending stage. Even the smell - not unpleasant, but unusual (to me). To be honest, even at the washing stage I started to doubt it - the fuzziness of the leaves appearing grey when wet in particular almost made me bin them.

As soon as the blender went to work, this stringy, odd smelling concoction turned a rich green, shimmering where the light caught it.

Delicious - well, it was good. Hyped up I reckon, mostly by my own excitement though! I enjoyed a bowl but not sure I'd be able to get through more than that.

My findings were that it was like a parsley sauce, without the creaminess (I had no cream). I recommend it to anyone that hasn't tried it, though I understand time is short as we're getting further into May.

One thing I noticed - it made my tum tickly inside for ten minutes or so. Not uncomfortable, but after eating your first foraged stinging nettles, it does feel a bit "hmmmm"! A tickle, a warmth, a SENSATION... I'm not sure.

Pics included for anyone curious.

Have a goodun

Brady

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My recipe has bacon and a fist full of ransoms fried off in butter, a couple of spuds to add body and a carrier bag full of nettles.
Once the bacon is fried off add the spuds and nettles and stock/water. Boil until the spuds are falling apart. Zizz and serve with croutons/crispy bacon dust/sour cream/mint

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE