first flint/steel fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

browndrake

Feb 4, 2006
Arizona, USA
I have made fires with bow drills most of my life. Other that using optics that is aobut the only non 'match' way I had ever tried. I used matches or a cig lighter most of the time and a bow drill if I was going primitive or with boy scouts.

I saw the fire piston online near the begining of the year and had to make one...(it is now my favorite fire starter) and then somebody was using a hand drill at a get together, so I did that for a few days. Never had tried flint and steel until today though.

I took some char cloth I had made for my piston, a piece of Texas rock which I had for knapping, and an old file. Took me about 4 or 5 wacks but then there was a spark on my cloth. I quickly gathered some oasge shavings off the floor (from scraping a bow) and blew me a little fire.

You know I will probably have to make me a respectable striker now, to be able to add it to the firestarting techniques I share with the scouts.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Though he might not want to mention it just now,
...one of our newest members "Queeg9000" lit a fire using one of Jason01's kits on the weekend. Used the flint and steel to light some cramp ball and hemp string, blew that into flame and we had a pleasant hour grinning madly about his new-found skill.

Way to go Browndrake and Queeg9000 :cool:

ATB

Ogri the trog

browndrake

Feb 4, 2006
Arizona, USA
well, I dont yet have the flint and steel skill. I would say I have the haphazard awkwardness of a real greeny. I lit one more and it took me many wacks with the steel. It does look like something I would like to practice a bit more and with a decent steel too.

I have deffinately got to get out and see what natural tinders are in this area. I would like to be able to get my fire going with all natural stuff....although the charcloth fire was neat indeed. (maybe that is why I have always just stuck with the bowdrill...you can do it most places without having any kit or prepped stuff with you)

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Well my friend that i get wood from made a delivery of wood Sunday he had his 11 or 12 year boy with him so i make alcohol stoves man they just love it could not believe there eyes how they work. Now on the next load of wood he bought other boy 9 or so fired up two stoves gave them each a stove and mess kit so that was great. Now hear is the kicker i got out my flint and steel to show of first strike char cloth was a lit put in my bird nest of oakum held up above head told kids this how to do it not to get smoke in your eyes wave it a bit smoking no flame yet do more wave not yet so this is not good kids thinking it wont work so i got to blow in it i did fire allmost got the eye lash they just love it. I bet on ther way home daddy will you get me a flint and steel see how easy it was. This just made my day boys got some stoves mess kits and learn [or seen] how to make fire.

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
Since I've harvested some horse hoof fungi a couple of weeks ago I am not far away from getting into the flint & steel fun.

I have an old file, but am still looking for a peice of flint. I've got one peice, but that is so small (1 x 2 cm) that I just don't dare to have an enthousiastic fling with the file on it when I'm holding the tiny flint. :eek: OK, the file is old and blunt, but still capable enough to loosen some skin on the ol' thumb I think :naughty:

Cheers for your success!

Bob

Had a go anyway and wacked a spark in a peice of charcloth yesterday evening.
The only blood I did draw was from a tiny scratch caused by my knife when making an indent in a peice of birch for having another go at the hand drill...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE