First Ever Overnight Camp

outdoord

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
United Kingdom
I am planning on doing my first ever overnight stay soon so thought i would share what I am planning to take too see if i can leave anything behind or if there is anything i have forgotten.

Rucksack - Not yet decided which pack
Dry bags

Tarp with cordage and pegs - Looking at the DD 3x3M Tarp.
Hammock - Tenth Wonder Hammock
OR Bivy bag - Not yet decided
Sleeping bag - Undecided which bag
Self inflating mat

MSR Titan Kettle
Evernew stove with trivet and a windshield
Platypus water bottle
Titanium spork
Folding mug
Brew kit and food

Toilet kit
Wash kit

Firesteel and lighter

Mora Clipper 840
Bahco Laplander saw

Torch and Headtorch with spare batteries
Camera
Mosquito head net
First Aid Kit

Trying to keep weight to a minimun. Most of the kit has not been bought but i'm making kit lists before hand to buy just what i need and not waste money.

Last edited:

outdoord

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
United Kingdom
Waterproof clothing?
Spare Clothing - as appropriate for time / duration / weather.
Map / compass
Water sterilisation
Big smile

:D

Looking at the weather i will be wearing my waterproofs.. no spare clothing as i am only staying one night and i will be carrying my water in and know the area well. I have walked it many times but never camped before.

Thank you :D

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
You've put Bahco Laplander knife, by this do you mean the saw? If not I would suggest a saw. The only other things I would add to your list is a good book, and some tinder just in case there's nothing at camp, or there's plenty at camp and it's soaked wet throught. Have a great time and let us know how you get on.

outdoord

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
United Kingdom
You've put Bahco Laplander knife, by this do you mean the saw? If not I would suggest a saw. The only other things I would add to your list is a good book, and some tinder just in case there's nothing at camp, or there's plenty at camp and it's soaked wet throught. Have a great time and let us know how you get on.

Yes, I did mean the saw sorry! I may even leave both and get a multitool with a little knife and saw as they are 'just encase items'.
I will be with my son so hoping for good company not a good book and no fire on this trip, just a lighter for the stove and a firesteel for backup.

bug repellant-even if you only apply it at night you will be grateful you packed it trust me

That slipped my mind! Will be taking my treated mosquito head net but forgot about all other exposure

Thank you :D

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
What's your son going to sleep in/under/on or are you going to try both of you in a hammock :)

I'd take at least a spare pair of trousers t-shirt possibly an extra jumper, just incase you do get wet [for whatever reason] it's not fun milling around in wet clothes.

How much water/ is there any to get where your staying, you'll need a fair bit for two.

First couple of times I took my kids I stayed close to home, incase they REALLY didn't like it, then it was a quick trip back - fortunatley they had a good enough time :)

perhaps a beer for when the kids gone to bed??

outdoord

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
United Kingdom
What's your son going to sleep in/under/on or are you going to try both of you in a hammock :)

I'd take at least a spare pair of trousers t-shirt possibly an extra jumper, just incase you do get wet [for whatever reason] it's not fun milling around in wet clothes.

How much water/ is there any to get where your staying, you'll need a fair bit for two.

First couple of times I took my kids I stayed close to home, incase they REALLY didn't like it, then it was a quick trip back - fortunatley they had a good enough time :)

perhaps a beer for when the kids gone to bed??

He's 18 and has roped me into the camp as its what he loves. I was going to ask him for help but trying to do it without him, hard though!
I will be taking 3 liters of water for the stay as its only 1 night and we will be leaving early.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Ahh right I hope mine still like camping when they get that old.

Why concerned about being light weight - just get him to carry it for you :) :)

outdoord

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
United Kingdom
Ahh right I hope mine still like camping when they get that old.

Why concerned about being light weight - just get him to carry it for you :) :)

We will both be carrying out own, he was shocked i said yes and not his did!
Trying to show him i do not need help but deep down i do!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'd leave the tarp/hammock and take a small tent, a little £10 special from Tesco will do, keep the bugs off you, keep yo dry if it rains. Buy a plastic builders tarp from B&Q for a fiver and practice pitching that. Get the basics right and worry about rigging a hammock and tarp a few trips down the line.

outdoord

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
United Kingdom
I'd leave the tarp/hammock and take a small tent, a little £10 special from Tesco will do, keep the bugs off you, keep yo dry if it rains. Buy a plastic builders tarp from B&Q for a fiver and practice pitching that. Get the basics right and worry about rigging a hammock and tarp a few trips down the line.

I will be with me son who has done this sort of thing for years so set up is not a problem :)

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
The OP has stated in a couple of posts that she ( i think ) wants to do the prep with out the sons help :) she's ( i hope ! ) come to us for guidance not sarcy comments followed by :rolleyes:. we're here to help guys, not make comments like that.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
well said robbi and outdoord you will have a blast and well all the davice above is spot on and egnore any one who says take a tent a hammock as long as you have trees is king in the sleep department

then again thats just my opinion

outdoord

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
United Kingdom
Then he should be able to help you with your kit list :rolleyes:

I am not a total idiot and can see a hammock between two trees is not as covered as a tent but i did not choose to sleep outside so be stuck with no view, i could get that in the house.
Looking for something new to do and i do not need help with a kit list, IF you read the first post you will see i asked if i had missed anything or could leave anything behind.

Thank you to everyone for the helpful posts, it is much appreciated as a new comer. Some very kind people in the bushcraft/camping community :)
Thank Robbi and Drew- and yes i am a she.. :eek:

Last edited:

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
PT and TP or pocket trowel and toilet paper, if you're going alfresco and not carting it back with you, even if you're only there for 1 night, nature will still call at some point and being a lady, you'll want to take the TP regardless.

Possibly an orange nalgene bottle and a she-wee, if you don't want to exit your hammock (or do the business squatting) that is.

Last edited:

outdoord

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
United Kingdom
PT and TP or pocket trowel and toilet paper, if you're going alfresco and not carting it back with you, even if you're only there for 1 night, nature will still call at some point and being a lady, you'll want to take the TP regardless.

Possibly an orange nalgene bottle and a she-wee, if you don't want to exit your hammock (or do the business squatting) that is.

Hello,

I have a Toilet kit in the original post including toilet paper, trowel, shewee etc thank you :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE