First Canoe Trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
I am going on my first canoe trip the first weekend of September and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for the noob???

Oh and by the way it will be on the river Wye from Hereford to Symonds Yat.
Any good stop off point's?
Any specific equiptment I need other than usual camping stuff?
Any and all advice welcome

Cheers

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
I'm heading there Friday.

Check out song of the paddle forum loads of info on the trip you are doing.

I found this thread probably the most helpful

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?12106-First-camping-trip-(6-days-on-the-Wye)

There is a canoe guide you can buy or download not sure of the direct link but google is your friend.

My trip started at Glasbury, stopped over at Bycross Farm first night then on to Hereford stopping at Lucksall Campsite. ending other side of Hereford.

Have fun it's a great paddle.

Any problems bounce me a PM and I'll try and help.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Keep the open side up!
Have you booked your campsites?
Wild camping is frowned upon and some campsites get pretty full...
Read "A canoeists Guide to the River Wye" - good maps and addresses of shops campsites etc.
Beware the Swans at Ross.
Take binos to watch the Peregrins at the Yat.
Avoid fishermen.
Enjoy it! I do this section quite often and it is great - though I have not paddled the rebuilt rapid at the Yat.....

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Only ever done the stretch from Hay towards Hereford, but promised myself to take the family for a week to do the Hay -Chepstow (when their old enough)

Last week the river was pretty swollen and washed up a load of branches etc on the Old stone bridge in Hereford, but last night it seemed about normal for summer and the contcrete bolsters at the bottom of the arches where all exposed so (and i'm no expert) there may be a few shallow spots to ground out in along the way.

Muddy Boots,
What time do you reckon you'll be passing Hereford on Sat. I should put a banner on the Victoria (pedestrian Bridge) for you Although don't think it would go down to well ;). just down stream of that there is a shingle beach that loads of paddlers rest on for a while (I take it you have used this before) and for the past few weeks i get jealous of all those folk just sitting there enjoying being out on the river as i trudge past on my way home :sadwavey: .

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Hi both.

My route for this weekend is Friday night Bycross then put in at the Boot Inn on Saturday and paddle back to Bycross.

It's only a short one this weekend but it's an excuse to get the boat wet.

smallholder

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2009
Cornwall
I am going on my first canoe trip the first weekend of September and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for the noob???

Oh and by the way it will be on the river Wye from Hereford to Symonds Yat.
Any good stop off point's?
Any specific equiptment I need other than usual camping stuff?
Any and all advice welcome

Cheers

Sorry to drop in on this one.

Are you renting the canoes and kit, or is it your own?

I am trying to get 4 of us together to have a canoe trip on the Wye, we are going to rent the canoes, we have the basics for camping. Anyone know of a decent company to rent from, we will need picking up and dropping back to our car and are looking for about 4 days on the water.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sorry to drop in on this one.

Are you renting the canoes and kit, or is it your own?

I am trying to get 4 of us together to have a canoe trip on the Wye, we are going to rent the canoes, we have the basics for camping. Anyone know of a decent company to rent from, we will need picking up and dropping back to our car and are looking for about 4 days on the water.
Mountain and Water would be my choice of hire company, but you could say I am biased as I do freelance coaching and guiding for them.
Pick ups and drop offs when and where you want realy.
Nice people (to work for at least :) ) and several staff have an interest in bushcrafting. Mention my name if you like.....
www.mountainandwater.co.uk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The Outfitting and hire side of the business is called "Backwaters" and if you are newish to canoeing you can book guided trips .....I have guided folk down the river before now and will be doing it again in August - not lost a client yet....

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
I'm renting from Canoethewye.co.uk , they have trips that take between 2 and 4 days are the cheapest I have found in the area

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
I am fully booked for this year (give or take) so no worries there!
It is just that I know and trust the folk at M&W

Good to know.

John you do much on the Mon&Brec? My Folks have a small boat they moor down there...and I walk/run the towpath every now and then. is very nice area.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Good to know.

John you do much on the Mon&Brec? My Folks have a small boat they moor down there...and I walk/run the towpath every now and then. is very nice area.

I do the odd bit for M&W at the back of Park Farm campsite at Llangattock - best canal I have ever paddled!
In the past I have done Brecon to Goytre Warf in one day.....
End of hijack - sorry!

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
I'm not a canoeist but i live locally. The campsite at Hoarwithy is popular with canoeists as it is alongside the river. It allows open campfires and is just a short walk from the pub. Mrs Bivouac and i enjoyed a nice meal and glass of quality cider there a few weeks ago. The website is http://www.tresseckcampsite.co.uk/
The White Lion pub in Ross seemed popular with canoeists too when Mrs Bivouac and i dined there, though the tents were piched right next to the pub garden on the riverbank and it could be a bit noisy if you wanted to turn in before closing time.

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
Thanks for all the advice people!!!
Mr Fenna, I especially enjoyed the advice to keep the open side up!!! Kept me laughing all day!!!
And to Bivouac, I actually found those to site's in my search on google the other day so they must be good Lol
Also found a link to Lucksallpark.co.uk in Holme Lacy which sounds like a plan for us

Thanks again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE