First canoe advice

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I am looking to buy my first canadian canoe and with so many makes and models on offer I was hoping for some advice on where to start . I will be looking for a solo canoe to do a bit of moderate river running as well as some extended trips on open water. I have been Whitewater kayaking for a long time but all of my whitewater buddies think I have finally lost it and dont want to encourage me down this road they say . Quite frankly they dont know the first thing about canadians anyway. So I am asking the Guys in the know.
Any advice will be greatfully received.
Huntersforge.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know what you mean about kayakers; but then white water is addictive :D

Go on over to Song of the Paddle and have a read; they're an excellent bunch and really know their stuff. We have a few joint meets with SoTP and BcUK in Scotland too.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/

Cheers,
Toddy

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Canadian canoeists have more fun! Just think of all the incredible journeys you'll make, camping experiences, friends you'll make etc. This is just the start, believe me. I got into Canadian canoeing via an old school chum who is a senior canoe instructor. His advice to me was not to buy too small a canoe. You never know when you might want to take someone else, or a dog, or pack all those extra bits of gear. The portable fireplace, the kelley kettle, fishing gear, the tent, sleeping bag etc. etc. I would put you on to him right now but he's just gone off to sail to the Caribbean on a square rig ship! Life's a bitch. :rolleyes:

Jester2

Oct 25, 2006
Suffolk
If you post the same question on the SOTP site you'll have lots of advice. I paddle a solo open canoe, a Bell Yellowstone Solo made of Royalex. I think this canoe may serve your needs.
I think which canoe to buy depends on answers to several questions, like;
How much you are willing to spend? (Royalex is light and strong but canoe is likely to cost £700 to £900)
How heavy will you and your kit be?
What sort of conditions you are likely to paddle in?
Best advice I can give is to register on SOTP site, ask if you can join up with some others for a paddle in your area (lots of SOTP members in Scotland), many have a tandem canoe and will give someone the chance to paddle with them. Look at the gear they are using and ask questions, rather than relying on people in the shops/suppliers.
I've found many who are paddling open canoes have paddled kayaks for several years.
Enjoy

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
A lot of people use a small 15' solo-biased tandem for solo use. For example, the Wenonah Prospector 15, Mad River Horizon, Novacraft Prospector 15, Novacraft Bob Special. All cost about a grand, unfortunately.

Of the 5* coaches, Clare Knifton rates the Wenonah Prospector 15 and Ray Goodwin the Mad River Horizon. Recently Mad River build quality has been suspect. Magikelly has the Wenonah and loves his. I've tried it but prefer my Bob Special as I think it tracks better on the flat, but in ww the Wenonah probably has the edge.

If money is tight Novacraft do a plastic (ie non Royalex) prospector (SP15 I think.) Bit heavier though.

All of these 15' canoes have plenty of kit room when used solo, even with air bags. I reckon you could travel unsupported for a month in one.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Should add that at the last Scottish meet you could have trialled around a dozen different models - look out for the next meet.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
For a first canoe....

I believe if I was in GB and was going out to get my first canoe - I'd stick with something basic - like an Old Town in Royalex.

If I thought I might be doing a fair amount of tandem - I'd get the Old Town Charles River (I like the lines).

If I would be doing mostly solo, I'd get the shorter Old Town "Guide" model canoe.

Both are basically good canoes and resale should be adequet.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
From my experience (level 4 coach, too many years paddling) I would recommend a 16 footer, preferably a Prospector style, such as the We no na. Mad river boats are too expensive for their quality - I have seen Ray Goodwins personal boat fold in half, with permanent damage, on a rock that also trapped an Old Town 158 (also a fine boat) but causing no visible damage. A 16 footer will track better than a shorter boat, will be good for paddling 2 up as well as solo, will hold all your tripping gear, make a shelter of good size and still be portageably light. If I was going to buy myself a new canoe it would be the We no na Prospector 16, preferably hull only and fit it out myself. For a first boat this canoe infactory standard finish is a good starting place.
Lots of dosh but worth it!

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
In my opinion the most important factor in choosing a canoe is weight. They can be so heavy that you end up getting to use them less often.

Thats why polyethylene canoes last so long - they are so heavy that get little use.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If weight is your primary concern, then get an Alan Bridges "Birch Creek 16" hand made fibreglass, light as a feather, fairly tough(though I smashed the bow of mine out at sea), repairable (see previous comment!) andcheaper than many plastics. I had the chance to review the prototype for "Canoeist" magazine over a 2 day period...I ordered mine on the evening of day one...day 2 I worked out how I could pay for it! An excellent lt wt boat!

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Thanks guys , Got lots of useful info from the post . Now have a better idea of what I need to get me on the water . I will post some pictures of my chosen crafts maiden voyage . :You_Rock_

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, it's a heck of a question... One I'm currently thinking about myself. I can only second the advice to register on Song of The Paddle, and get together with people who have various different canoes and try them out. I've met a few of the SoTP folks, and I'm sure many of the Scottish members would be more than happy to introduce you to their boats. They're a really nice bunch! :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Whats wrong with a kayak?

(says she who scrounged a nice wood and canvas touring model two years back, which is virtualy unusable unless ballasted with the kitchen sink.)

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I am bringing this thread back to life as I have now decided what canoe I am finally going to buy .( eventually saved enough )
An old town guide 147 . Have spoken to several experienced canoeists , separated the fact from the fiction and made my decision .
Also my 6 year old son greg is mad keen on the idea .
As promised I will post some pics once I get it on the wet stuff .:D

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
guys you have it all rong and that is should just buy a laser 125 removeable fin saling dingy and use that instead

thats coming from a guy who is a mad keen sailor who wants to get in to indian canoeing due to you can get up so many more little creeks and wild places in the canoe

drew

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Hello again .
Finally . Had the day off work today & picked my new canoe up .
Deviated a wee bit from the old town guide 147 . Got myself a mad river explorer 14tt in green of course .
Thought the plastic seats on the guide were a bit nasty :eek:
Will post some pics at the weekend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE