First bushcraft knife.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I would like to draw on some of the experience available on the forums with the choice of my first knife. I have a plethora od leathermans, squirts, swiss army knifes etc. but no fixed blade working knives. The range of prices astounds me and I have looked with interest at the following.

Frosts mora 740 high carbon.

Nieto bushcraft knife olive handle

and a Nieto bushcraft knife with a pakkawood handle (same as above I think but looks nicer).

any advice would be appreciated.

cheers

Andy

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Me and a m8 just got the Mora Clipper (840)
nice grip on it and its so sharp that if i wave it in front of my face my sentances get chopped up.
also if we chip it (unlikely but anything can happen) or ruin it in any way it only cost us £8, and a replacement is a day away by post.
cannot argue with that.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Hi Andy,

I think you will find most of the replies you get to this will be "get a Mora". For the money you really cant go wrong.

A lot of the guys on here have expensive knives but most still use the Mora's for the rough stuff. Great knives at silly cheap prices (the cheapness does not reflect the quality either).

Go for it, they are great.

ATB, Jon.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
time and time again on this forum we talk to people in exactly the same situation as you and we always say the same thing "You can't go wrong with a Mora" and we say it because it's true!! Seriously it's so much knife for the money, make no hesitation in getting one, have fun with it when you get it, i'm 110% certain you won't be dissapointed with it :D:D:D:D

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
As the others have said - you can't go wrong with a Frosts. Be it the Mora, Clipper or whatever - for that money you are getting an extremely good knife, and it if goes wrong or you don't like it...well, it's only £8 rather than £100+

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Its ordered!!!

you just confirmed all pretty much what I thought.

Andy

now to find a Hammock and tarp any ideas? (oh and im not related to the rothschilds!!!) :)

ta very much!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
DD hammock and DD tarp.
You can order both for a slight reduction. I don't have the hammock (don't like them - HATE sleeping on my back) but I do have the tarp and I'm really pleased with it. You get superb service from DD Hammocks as well. You won't be disappointed.
And best of all - damn good prices!

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
I'll second that on the hammock/tarp combo, I got a DD Tarp, it's top notch and cheap, I just added a few more guys to mine as four weren't cutting the mustard for a 3mx3m tarp. My hammock is a tenth wonder, also cheap and decent quality, though the webbing it comes with is proper heavy.DD Hammocks are also good, from all I've read.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
DD tarp again too, £29 and free postage? plus cordage and pegs all rolled in a nice stuffsack
its flippin light to boot!
well worth it. me and the guys all ordered one together ;)
also just litterally shaved skin off my thumb testing the edge on my mora. note to self: my knife is sharp stop messing with it...

Nov 7, 2008
U.K
yea DD do some great gear great hammocks my advice is get one and as for the knife get a mora scary sharp and cheap

jordan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE