First blade engraving file work and profiling

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
As title this blade was sent to me as a rough cut out shape in 01tool steel 2mm ish thick,cracked on with the profile this was my first ever attempt by eye alone,
Then I did the file work never done this either but very pleased with the outcome,then I engraved the blade.
Hope you all like it all comments welcome good or bad .

I enjoyed this little project and am hoping to gain the trust of the forum members and maybe gain some commission work for either new build ,or customising existing knives and other tools .

null.jpg

null-1.jpg

null-2.jpg

null-4.jpg

null-5.jpg

as you can see in pic1 i laid a rough sketch on the blade for position i then removed it polished the blade,then freehanded the improved design onto the blade both sides.

all artworks are bespoke and freehand.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's cool, Trev, and very good seeing as it's the first one...........I guess this metal stuff must be a vast change from skin and flesh, eh?

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Great first attempt trev and the more you do the better it will get.
I think you have found a skill worth sticking with cant wait to see more
Will you be putting a handle on aswell ?

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Great first attempt trev and the more you do the better it will get.
I think you have found a skill worth sticking with cant wait to see more
Will you be putting a handle on aswell ?

thanks bud!!!
it's going back to the guy who sent me the samples and he is going to put scales on sheath it this was just a trial but it came out lovely to be fair

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Really like this:), can I ask if there would be any difficulty in doing the same to an existing hardened blade (assuming the one above wasn't hardened). Always fancied the idea of a blade with a tree/family tree engraved on it, a great heirloom to pass down the generations. Just need the right sized chopper (bowie:rolleyes:) as the traditional bushy would be a bit small.
Anyway thanks for sharing, I'll be watching your work with interest.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Really like this:), can I ask if there would be any difficulty in doing the same to an existing hardened blade (assuming the one above wasn't hardened). Always fancied the idea of a blade with a tree/family tree engraved on it, a great heirloom to pass down the generations. Just need the right sized chopper (bowie:rolleyes:) as the traditional bushy would be a bit small.
Anyway thanks for sharing, I'll be watching your work with interest.

thanks for the kind words .
i've a piece of hardened steel here which i'm going to engrave with different makers marks tonight so watch this space .

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
thanks bud!!!
it's going back to the guy who sent me the samples and he is going to put scales on sheath it this was just a trial but it came out lovely to be fair

If hes on here mate ask if he will post a picture of the finnished blade I think it will set the file work and engraving off to its full effect.
I would love to see some celtic inspired engraving and a nice leather sheath from dreadhead with a matching pattern on it, to complement each other :D

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
If hes on here mate ask if he will post a picture of the finnished blade I think it will set the file work and engraving off to its full effect.
I would love to see some celtic inspired engraving and a nice leather sheath from dreadhead with a matching pattern on it, to complement each other :D

easy done bud i'll try and post up some knotwork in the near future for ya too look at .

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
looking forward to more engraving tommorow could any of the makers please send me some images of their makers mark so i can have a play on some hardened steel i have here please.

Last edited:

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
That's looking bloody good mate!

I can see I've got my work cut out to make my bit anywhere as good as your bit. Once it's done, I'll certainly be posting the finished article, I only hope I can do your work justice!

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
That's looking bloody good mate!

I can see I've got my work cut out to make my bit anywhere as good as your bit. Once it's done, I'll certainly be posting the finished article, I only hope I can do your work justice!

not at all bud your much more experienced than me, this is my first attempt, i was just playing with ideas and skills, got plenty of ideas for file work plus the graving. Down to you now mate to finish the two man effort good luck
This will make an awesome whittler for some lucky person.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE