First Birchbark Scandi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

belabear

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Austria
Hello guys!

Just wanted to show you a knife I made as a birthday present for a friend. First time peening didn´t turn out that bad.

Blade Lauri PT, Handle Birchbark and Nicklesilver, Sheath Leather with wood inlay

Greetings from Austria
Belabear

P1050607small_zps24efbb96.jpg

P1050604small_zpsc3a926eb.jpg

P1050600small_zps34b63afa.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh nice :D

I've had one sitting with the bits mostly cut out for ages :eek:
I really should finish it.

How did you shape yours ? and did you use any glue to hold the layers together ?

cheers,
Toddy

belabear

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Austria
Thanks guys, it was a lot of work but worth the effort. Have gone the cowards way and glued the pieces together with Epoxy, but will try the heating method and peening only the next time. Handle was easily shaped using the belt sander and then wet and dry to 6400 grit.

Cheers Belabear

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Nice, I like the top of the sheath. It looks primitive in a good way:) Do you use local birchbark and if so how thick is it?

belabear

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Austria
I bought the brich bark at a local furniture shop.... it was a accessory for christmas and the 10x15 inch sheets were rather cheap ;o) layers are glued with epoxy and at the end the tang was peened/rivetted, should last a life time. Next time I will not glue the handle but heat it gently in the oven at 80° C .

Glad you like it!

Cheers
Belabear

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE