First axe restoration

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
This was not a bad axe which I bought in 2007 regular cheap axe but not those Chinese ones , it is hand forged , so I left it here in the winter , now when I came back what I see ? The workers on my dog house where using it , I said screw it , it will have a few nicks and I will fix it , now when they finished the work I see that handle is broken , blade has nicks , rust , paint so what could I have done ? I started to restore it. Now it is dark I changed the shape I made a beard and made the ark opposite way on the top I will post the picture of it tomorrow , but I have questions about the handle , what wood should I use ?
601abc25846605c5e794891bd44bcf74.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The workers were Ukrainian?

Birch makes a good handle and I think Ash and Maple are suitable too.
In Sweden we use Birch, in North Amerika they use Hickory.

What trees do you have in Georgia, Land of the Grape?

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
The final product is here :) sharpening left and making the handle I will visit the shop in the village , see what they have if they have any :) taking in mind what tools I had , it came out not bad
bb683b4dc0c8267ae368fa61d39f24a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Personally, I would do a little bit more work on the finishing. I would remove the rust and paint, then blue the body of he head. Easier to do now than later!
Have you decided on the shaft wood sort?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
that came out ok, good job

A flap disk for your angle grinder will give a fairly decent shiney finish and make easy work of smoothing out those contours on the top of the head
I don't go in for mirror polish heads so all i do is flap disk all the rust off and then run over it with an orbital sander that takes out the swirls from the flap disk, gives a workman like but nice matt finish.

Last edited:

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Rust and paint it removed , I used a filter on this photo thats why it has that colors , it is in the shape it was at first
I dont have a grinder , or else top side wont be so ugly , I have an electric hand grinder which has a cutting blade and it is not safe to shape with its edge but I didn't care I still did it and I have an old file which is really wide , about 3cm so it can't round that top any further.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Rust and paint it removed , I used a filter on this photo thats why it has that colors , it is in the shape it was at first
I dont have a grinder , or else top side wont be so ugly , I have an electric hand grinder which has a cutting blade and it is not safe to shape with its edge but I didn't care I still did it and I have an old file which is really wide , about 3cm so it can't round that top any further.

on another of your threads I think we worked out that an angle grinder is what you have, 'angle' refers to the head of the tool being angled 90 degrees

Something like this

http://www.googleadservices.com/pag...s-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url

If thats what you have then flap disks and 1mm cutting disks are something you need in your armoury

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Just the first links that popped up to give you an idea

Flap disks

http://www.googleadservices.com/pag...-129f235df603&istItemId=aqrxqwqpa&istBid=tztt

These are great as they don't remove as much material or try and 'dig in' like a solid grinding disk, they also conform to odd shapes a little bit

1mm disks

http://www.googleadservices.com/pag...s-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url

Just cut beautifully compared to average 3mm ones. A little more care is needed though as they are quite delicate

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Just the first links that popped up to give you an idea

Flap disks

http://www.googleadservices.com/pag...-129f235df603&istItemId=aqrxqwqpa&istBid=tztt

These are great as they don't remove as much material or try and 'dig in' like a solid grinding disk, they also conform to odd shapes a little bit

1mm disks

Just cut beautifully compared to average 3mm ones. A little more care is needed though as they are quite delicate

those 1mm disks are what i have

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You should also buy a couple of steel and brass or bronze brushes if your anglegrinder can take them.
If it can not, get them for your electric handheld drill. Different center.
The steel ones are great for removing rust and paint, the brass / bronze ones kind of burnish the surface.

PROTECT your eyes with safety glasses though!

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The axe looks good. I thought it might be pitted but after clean-up = looks great.

My electric handheld drill doesn't have the rpm to do even a poor job with a steel brush.
Flap disk in the angle grinder is OK. Used the edges of a 3mm to grind the rust off
a bunch of railroad spikes. Inlet into an oak 2x4 for a coat rack.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I have a Makita with 24 V battery, and it is great. Restoring the G wagon with it.
I bought a Makita because there was a trade show here locally a few years back, and you got a poster signed individually by Signorita Makita ( a young lady, Matathon runner or longdistance swimmer, if you consider the size of her lungs) if you bought a Makita rechardable tool.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Is it fair to ask if you stood in line for a signed poster? I hope that the wait wasn't too tedious for a volumetric analysis.
And Makita makes rechargable tools.. . how convenient.
But, I digress.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, I was in a line, all endurance sports interested guys.
Makita must be a mean company, the sports person must have been very poorly paid, she could only afford very small clothes.
If you do a quick search on Signorita Makita images, you can see for yourself. Makita the company should be truly ashamed, as this underpaying has been going on for years and years...

But as I live in a hot country, she was ok. Imagine how she would be in cold Canada, or Sweden!

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I bought my tool in 2012 or 13, so the Brand Ambassadors were different. Makita Corp could only afford to send one Ambassador, the Latin American Senorita M.

As tools go, I am happy with Makita. Had previously Black@Decker, then American something. Did not last long.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I've just checked on the net and there seem to be lots of Señorita Makita and Miss Makitas. I'm beginning to think that they are not really members of the Makita family - gosh lots of them don't even look related! Am I missing something - maybe he Makita family just adopted a lot of young ladies which is very kind!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE