First Axe Mask

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I recently inherited a box of tools and among them was an Eagle Edge Tool Co. hatchet in need of some TLC.
The poll was burred over and there was a chip in the cutting edge so I set too with file.

EETCo374%2520No1.jpg

It was coming along nicely when I realised that it would really need a mask to keep it and me safe from accidents.
So I ordered some bits from the Identity Store and dug out a bit of leather I was given some while ago and made this...

Mask%2520no1.jpg

Mask%2520no1a.jpg

Todays job is to finish sharpening it and maybe using some neutral shoe polish on the leather.
I used some timebond to glue the welt (?) in before rivetting, plus 3 and 4mm drill bits in addition to the tools in the pics.
Ta for looking
Rob.

Fretyenot

Jun 22, 2014
Sheffield
Proper smart job that buddy. Bet it feels good to restore something rather than just go and buy a new one. Bang on. 👍

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Ta for the nice comments guys, appreciated.

Nice one :)... is there a welt in there?

If that is what the extra bit of leather that gets sandwiched twixt the riveted faces is called then yes. But my bit of leather is about 2.4mm thick, should I have doubled it up?

Have finished the sharpening on my Tormek and coated the mask with neutral shoe polish, also stamped my initials into the pull tab.

DSC01243.JPG

A couple of schoolboy errors in the job but for a first attempt I am happy with it and have learnt a lot about playing with leather, a fair bit different from my day job playing with wood. Biggest hiccup (imo) was riveting the strap where the snap is now, easily sorted but gave myself a huge head slap at the time.:banghead:

My OH said she thinks her Dad would be made up at what I have done for one of his tools (we are both carpenter/joiners by trade though he moved into civil engineering after being de-mobbed..... that sewer scene in the original Italian Job was done with his assistance as he was running the construction of them and organized the opening of them for filming) which is praise enough then to get great comments from you guys and the likes of Dreadhead; and we all know how cool his work is.....is.... well, I don't think this will be my last leather project. :D
Cheers, Rob

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Looks good, I to have a couple of Eagle Edge tools hand axes, I was told Brades owned the company.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Nice work Rob, with the leatherwork and the restoration. Hope to see it in person soon.

Ta Lyn, long time no see eh! Bet yours still needs a sharp up, doesn't it? Offer still stands for me to do it.

Both projects have made a great whole. Nice job on them both. Looks a nice solid axe, is it nice to use?

Ta GB, not used it yet as I am suffering with tennis elbow, working on the axe and mask has been a stress free good use of time while I can't work my day job...swinging it at a log would not do my elbow much good though at the moment.

Looks good, I to have a couple of Eagle Edge tools hand axes, I was told Brades owned the company.

Yep they took them over but kept the trademark and name because they were much in demand abroad, excellent quality tools, they will serve you well.

Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE