First attempt on a lathe

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
So my first attempt on a lathe, I decided to do a honey dipper. Made from birch.

UGpxDuo.jpg

a6Ojn5u.jpg

Not perfect but it took me about 30 mins once I got used to the tools (I chipped a lot of wood on my first piece of wood but I persevered).

Questions or comments greatly appreciated.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Excellent first project to get used to some of the tools, each of them need a bit of getting used to.
A couple of tips if you want them,
After roughing the blank to a cylinder run the bevel of the next tool against the wood and slowly lift the end of the handle up to introduce the cutting edge to the wood.
For getting clean edges to deep cut like those on the dipper mark the widths of the cuts with a pencil line and use a skew chisel end on to scribe those lines ( a small 'v' cut) then the parting tool will not splinter out the face of the wood which is a prominent issue when the cuts are so close together.

Rob.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Much better than my first attempt and a lot braver doing something relatively thin and delicate. If you can scrounge some sycamore to season. A lot of folk think of it as a weed and only use it for firewood. In fact you may find already seasoned at the back of folks log piles. Once they know your into turning people are remarkably good about letting you have suitable bits in my experience.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE