First attempt at bushcraft - Looking for tips!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 27, 2012
Glasgow
Hi Everyone,

Three others and myself are bushcraft newbie’s and we are planning to go out into Tay forest (not too far) at the start of October. For our first attempt at bushcrafting. A couple of us are experienced hikers and as a result have the required kit (aside from a forest axe)

We’re going to try to experiment with various techniques we have been reading about and watching videos on, so no lighter (except for cigs!) and no stoves!
Most of the guys will be bringing a tent. I however have bought myself a hammock and tarp!

Generally looking for some tips in terms of prepping a camp in terms of prioritising.

What’s the first thing you experienced chaps would be doing when you find a spot you feel would be suitable?

Also if you guys can suggest any activities that would be worth practising?

I appreciate any advice!

David.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
What’s the first thing you experienced chaps would be doing when you find a spot you feel would be suitable?

I'd be knowing the spot is suitable.
Permission, not camping under dangerous trees (falling limbs), away from potential rockfall, flooding, sheltered from prevailing winds. That sort of thing.

Crazivan

Aug 17, 2010
Oxfordshire
First thing: look up, then look down. i.e. check for dead branches above your head that could fall down, and make sure you're not setting up camp in the middle of a river bed / ant's nest / game trail...

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Generally looking for some tips in terms of prepping a camp in terms of prioritising.

Also if you guys can suggest any activities that would be worth practising?

I appreciate any advice!

David.

Firstly always apply the WHAT IF theory. What if (heaven forbid) you or one of your friends breaks an ankle/collapses etc. Ensure that you have an emergency plan in place for such scenario's before setting out. (this normally means ensuring you know the land and area well enough to plan for these circumstances)

As has been mentioned when you find a spot you feel would be suitable I would first check there is no danger from falling objects, secondly ensure that you are not close to any flood risk (such as camped close to a river bank with high water or in a dry river bed) and also check that you are not in the middle of any trails (hiking or game).

Once you have established these facts and you are happy your place is suitable for camping get your gear set up so should the heavens open you have a place to shelter, then establish a cooking/fire area and designate your toilet spot.

From there you can try as many activities as you want but if you aren't taking anything really for fire lighting or any stoves I would suggest you make a pot stand of some sort out of dead fall wood or green wood, get yourself wood for a fire and try to get one going.

Hope that helps

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
......What’s the first thing you experienced chaps would be doing when you find a spot you feel would be suitable?....

my first priority is to make sure i've got somewhere to put me and my kit that's out of the weather. that usually means pitching a tarp and/or a tent. then i'll be lighting the stove for a brew

......Also if you guys can suggest any activities that would be worth practising?........

i go outside to look at and learn about the outside, so that's what i do. this mainly consists of wandering around aimlessly doing such strange things as stroking leaves, sniffing trees, photographing fungi, making bird noises (badly), etc. i enjoy the funny looks :)

if you're wanting something a bit "crafty" then making camp gadgets is always popular, there's a thousand and one ways to suspend a billy over a cooking fire, you could probably spend the rest of your life trying to work out which one's best for you, it'd certainly pass an afternoon.

whatever you end up doing, enjoy yourself and let us know how you get on

HTH

stuart

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
How about getting yourself a copy of Ray Mears Essential Bushcraft book and working your way through it whilst at camp?
It has a shed load of different skills and fire lighting techniques and shelter building instructions and down to things like pot hooks to suspend your billy over the fire?
That should keep all of you busy for a good while!!
Another good book is food for free, that way you guys can go for a little bimble and identify some wild edibles and stuff.

Hope this helps
Steve

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Don't make it too hard for yourselves on the 1st outing - ensure that you do have a reliable method of fire starting, enjoy the moment and practice the things that interest you:)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
How about getting yourself a copy of Ray Mears Essential Bushcraft......

or try Ray Mears Outdoor survival handbook......

"The wilderness survival guide" by joe o'leary is a fantastic book too......

you could always sit and read :eek:

no, seriously, sit and read a good book. it'll make you be still and quiet, it'll make you slow down, it'll give the wildlife around you a chance to realise that you're not a threat and start going about it's business again. reading a good book in the woods by a fire with the kettle bubbling away merrily is wonderful, everyone should try it :)

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
When you have found a likely spot having checked the things previously posted make a brew sit and chat about who's going where etc and make sure you are furthest from the one who snores the loudest!

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
Don't set your self any unrealistic goals, as you are doing this for enjoyment, not harassment!

Make sure you have a first aid kit with you, and that everyone knows where it is at all times.

If you are hammocking read up on under blankets. If you just sleep in a sleeping bag you will compress the material in the bag between your body weight and the hammock itself and it gets cold. There are loads of pictures of home made under blankets on this site. Even in the summer a breeze makes your back cold.

Have fun, and enjoy yourselves :)

Aug 27, 2012
Glasgow
Thanks for all the tips everyone!

"When you have found a likely spot having checked the things previously posted make a brew sit and chat about who's going where etc and make sure you are furthest from the one who snores the loudest!"

As the loudest snorer myself, this may prove difficult haha!

I'll post some pics afterwards to let you know how we got on!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE