First and second attempts at spoons! (without a Spoon Knife or Axe)

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Hi all.
so at the weekend I had a go with making a spoon.

enjoyed it so much I made a second one for the missus!

quite happy for first attempts, but their are a few nicks and scratches i'm not happy about. but practice makes perfect! (or average in my case).

all feedback welcome!

both spoons are birch wood coated with walnut oil. big one is a soup spoon kinda thing and the small one a tea spoon for the missus.
(zippo for scale)

lacking any proper wood carving tools like an axe,spoon knife, or a whittler, i made do with these. used the smith and wesson knife and mallet to split the wood and the dremal type tool thingy to hollow out the bowls. (and a hand-drill not shown)

Regards,
Baelfore

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Those are fine, mine were a lot shakier than that and I had a hook knife and a whittler!............You can only use what you have, and some of the things I've made that I'm very fond of were cobbled together on the spur of the moment.................and birch with walnut oil is a nice way to do them, is it not?

Great spoons, and you should be pleased with them.................................atb mac

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Those look like my first efforts, but I had the proper tools, so really well done. I found it addictive and have three more on the go currently. Good luck.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Good job with the tools you're using. If you get yourself an inexpensive knife like a Mora I think you'll find a world of difference in your efforts. That would be my number one purchase followed by a spoon knife if you find yourself enjoying carving. As Harvestman says, it is addictive and soon you may find yourself buying tools and spending A LOT of your time carving every chance you get.
Welcome to CA (carvers anonymous) We meet every Wednesday at 8:00:lmao:

Edit:
Forgot to ask: is there a story behind the band aids?:)

Last edited:

Mr Mac

Forager
Mar 25, 2009
Home.
Hi Baelfore.
If you like spoon carving and friction firelighting then why not amalgamate the two ?
http://spooncarvingfirststeps.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/spooncarving-without-hook-knife.html

spoon+carving+first+steps+friction+fire+lighting+054.jpg

jon+mac+chris+grant+machris+knife+Friction+spoon+carving+034.jpg

jon+mac+chris+grant+machris+knife+Friction+spoon+carving+001.jpg

Have fun my friend... J

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
thanks for all the positive comments guys!

yeh a wittler spoonknife and hatchet are on the purchase list for the summer along with a knife kit and 2n'd blade blank.

in fact the original plan was to just carve the shape and then wait gor a spoon knife during the summer....this lasted a day and a half before i decided to try and get them finished without one!

I must say I really like the idea way the bowl turns out in the friction method! thanks mr. mac

bb07, the band aids are *ahem* what I hope i can refer to in a few years as 'scars of experiance' *ahem*

on the plus side: it reminded me of the importance of having a first aid kit close at hand when working with sharps!

AND I can tell the missus that my blood sweat and tears LITERALLY wnet into making her knife! :rofl:

Regards,
Baelfore

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE