First aid kits - what's in yours?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Just sliced a good two inch flap of forefinger off with a GB mini ( who said a sharp tool is a safe tool?).
No great drama. Used the triangular bandage and took off a strip as a dressing, stopped the spurting and sorted it out, job done till I got home. However, made me think about what people carry.

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
Deep breath

Triangular bandage , woven bandage, dressing pad, plasters , zinc oxide tape , granuflax sheet ( blisters) , paracetomal, immodium ( or boots own ) safety pins, ant histamine cream, cotton wool ball, all packs into a screw top plastic container that can be used for holding water , blood , hacked off fingers

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
beachlover said:
Just sliced a good two inch flap of forefinger off with a GB mini ( who said a sharp tool is a safe tool?).

Bet you will be glad that it doesn't go septic because you weren't using some rusty old axe.

Bill

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i carry one of these which contains:
· First Aid Primary Care Guide
· Antiseptic Cleansing Tissues
· Antiseptic Cream
· Scissors
· Woven Bandage
· Safety Pins
· Various Dressings

and i have added:

Further Plasters of various sizes
Blister plasters second skins
Iboprofen (for me, not for giving to people :nono: )
Apis (homeopathic remidie for bits and stings this is a truly wonder drug for stings!!)
Lavender oil great for hundreds of things! (im not really in to putting it on my pillow to calm me, but it is great on burns, cuts and sun burn!! and it kills ticks as good as teatree before you tweez them off)
Tweezers (for ticks)
Steri Strips (for cuts.. not that i ever do anything silly like that)
A Pin which can be sterilized and used to drain blisters

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
It depends where you go, but if I go anywhere remote I also take salt and malaria tabs and a good general puropse antibiotic.

Greg

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
i have some gauze pads, antisceptic cream, assorted plasters, blister plasters, support and stretched bandages, needle, safety pins, tape, small dressings, thermometer, steripods and i also have a whistle and some puritabs inside.

I'm going to get some of those big wound dressings from strikeforce supplies.

P

pathfinder

Compeed plasters are always good for those annoying blisters.
:newbie:

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
for blisters i use germoline 'new skin'. It comes in a small bottle (its a liquid) and you just paint it on if you feel a blister forming. It drys hard and works very well. about £3 a bottle i think, from my local chemists.

Hurts alot if you put it on a burst blister but still does the job.

cheers gb

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
gb said:
for blisters i use germoline 'new skin'. It comes in a small bottle (its a liquid) and you just paint it on if you feel a blister forming. It drys hard and works very well. about £3 a bottle i think, from my local chemists.

Hurts alot if you put it on a burst blister but still does the job.

cheers gb

I've tried 2nd skin but if Im on a long hike, the hard 2nd skin layer tends to rub off, I should point out Ive never met anyone else with this problem, guess I just sweat too much! The best way Ive found is using gauze and strapping plaster, cut the gauze to the right size and strap blaster tightly over the gauze to hold it in place (you need cloth plaster not the usefless shiny stuff)

Greg

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I carry a Gregson Pack if out in the wilds and a forestry HSE first aid kit if out in the local woods whether using my chainsaw or not.... so far I haven't needed it but no doubt I will on the day I leave it behind.... I've used moss to stop the bleeding on a small knife nic in the past though....seems to work well till I got back to the car a mile away and dressed it.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
lou1661 said:
1.5" wide zinc oxide tape, once its stuck it wont even come off when you want it too.

it comes of my heel by roleing up.. but you are right.. it took both my big toe nails off with it after ten tors :yikes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE