firewood log store

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hi all

I am planning to build myself a log store for the three year seasoned split firewood fill one of my sheds.But browsing the web shows almost all of the log stores are open fronted...
like this
log_store.jpg

I understand that the wood needs air but I would have thought that the open fronted designs wood allow rain to hit the logs and rehydrate them?

I would be interested in seeing photos of your firewood log stores please.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Rain wets the logs but it doesn't get drawn into them. As long as there's enough of a roof to stop most of the rain they'll dry fine. As you mentioned, you need an open front for ventilation

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use an old garage

Full Log Shed by British Red, on Flickr

Open sides are better - get the wood up off the floor (I use pallets) and any rain just drips off. The wind accelerates drying and prevents the logs going mouldy by blowing moisture out as the wood dries.

I'd leave gaps of 3" or so - not so large that logs fall through!

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
rain getting going onto your fire woods not a problem, the air moving about will keep it in good condition and the longer it is seasoned the harder it gets.
all the fire wood i produce to sell is kept as cord wood and then split, staked into a pile on old pallets to help air move about and the only extra bit of protection is an old lorry
tarp. if you want too baggy you could add some hemp netting that brickies use to help protect brick they have layed from wet weather.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
New thread please SS! Would love to see it progress.

I aim to fill my garage to the rafters this year - and then I have 4 lots of 2 cubic metre veg bins set up in the barn for the green stuff - I reckon that gets me to about two years of cooking and heating plus a little contingency

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Have spent the day today building my log store as well

We bought a chimneia a few weeks ago so now I have a great excuse to store loads of logs , some for burning and some for carving !!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE