FireTubes - Firesteel.Com

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Does anyone own or has owned a Ferrod Rod from Ferro Steel . Com?

More specifically the Firetubes.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
As no one has commented , maybe worth mentioning I will most likely be placing a small order for some - would potentially anyone else be interested in piggy backing on my order ?

Costs to be shared

Serious enquiries only please.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Sorry, but I can’t even find a website called that. I’m on a very limited signal, but can find other stuff, but not ferrosteel.com.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
That's a terrible idea.

Ferro rods notoriously corrode in damp conditions, so sticking it inside an ali tube in the UK is asking for it to rot in no time! Plus you are paying $40 for the aluminium tube plus a ferro rod that can't be replaced when it goes

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Plenty of realy good ferro rods available from the UK at cheaper prices that are better.
This, to my mind is a big price for a bit of extra packaging that costs next to nothing. It looks gimmicky to me.
I have 3 great ferro rods. Non cost me much more than £10, and I use them with absolutely no problems, or need of an aluminium tube to keep them safe and useable. Waste of money to me, plenty of British companies make excellent one's. Why not buy British? Instead of wasting your money.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
In one of Mors's videos he had a military version where the tube was made out of magnesium, and also had a spare compartment for bit of tinder. Guess too expensive to make, especially when compared to the standard mag block with glued in rod.

3 mins 30 in.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I was going to say I'd want something with a bit of room in for some dry tinder, perhaps the scraper pointing inside so it doesn't catch. Not bad a problem with damp on my rods.

I'm not sure 'buying British' would make much difference as I expect the rods and ali tube, if not the whole thing, will be made in China. If anything something made in the USA may be more likely to not be made in China.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
You mean, like the rain?
More enclosed moist conditions. I don't use the things myself (i'm either being historical so it's proper flint and steel, or i just want fire so have a lighter) but the ones i've had kicking about in plastic tackle boxes, rucksack pockets, cooksets, etc have all corroded. Mostly just blooms, but one actually disintergrated

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
Plenty of realy good ferro rods available from the UK at cheaper prices that are better.
This, to my mind is a big price for a bit of extra packaging that costs next to nothing. It looks gimmicky to me.
I have 3 great ferro rods. Non cost me much more than £10, and I use them with absolutely no problems, or need of an aluminium tube to keep them safe and useable. Waste of money to me, plenty of British companies make excellent one's. Why not buy British? Instead of wasting your money.
Out of interest, which ones do you use Woody Girl?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Why hasn't anyone made a rod tube with a like bolt action?
Would give the rod some physical protection but still open.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE