Firesteels - Good ones/Bad ones?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
The title says it all really.

Lost my trusty firesteel and not sure of the make :dunno:

As I don't understand the technicalities of the composition of firesteels/ferro rods, can anyone enlighten me on what makes a good or bad one please?

Any recommendations or avoidance advice?

Cheers.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Only recommendations really!

All the makers on here seem to do pretty good ones, my only experience has been with one from G4GHB who makes a cracker!

As far as commercial firesteels go, the two most popular that I've never heard of problems with are the Light My Fire Swedish Army Firesteel and the Raymears Flash Stick!

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Only recommendations really!

All the makers on here seem to do pretty good ones, my only experience has been with one from G4GHB who makes a cracker!

As far as commercial firesteels go, the two most popular that I've never heard of problems with are the Light My Fire Swedish Army Firesteel and the Raymears Flash Stick!

I have one of each and both do a very fine job.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Been using the Light my fire one for a while now and so far really impressed. Last weekend i got one of the Primus ones, it makes good strong sparks but appears a little soft as there is now quite a flat spot on the edge im striking from.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I bought 2 from Ronnie Sunshines,they were advertised as army firesteels.I assumed they were Swiss army ones,they use the light my fire type.They weren't,they were rubbish.I also tried the Exotac firesteel again not much use.I now only use light my fire ones as they work excellently.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
I have used LMF firesteels but the best (most and hottest sparks) is a Fireflash that I got from the RM website years ago, however I bought some of the cheap £3 Karrimor steels from Sports Direct a few months back and they work just fine.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
The ones from Ray Mears at Woodlore are very good, the LMF ones are OK. I've got a couple of unknown ones I can't remember where from that are not so good, so I use them to practice with.

Dave

satosato

Forager
May 29, 2009
London
I have the LMF steels and the one from the GB here, Ferro rods from goingprepare, the FR are the best IMHO.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I think there are differences in the firesteels. Some cheaper ones are harder to strike, wear down faster and don't burn as hot as the ones that cost a little more. Personally the best I've tried is the Ray Mears one. Followed closely by the Light My Fire one.

E

ex member coconino

Is there such thing as a bad firesteel or is it just bad tinder? :)

The Web-Tex ones are useless, or at least the one I've got is. It just produces curls of metal and barely a spark unless it's scraped really hard, when it produces random flying lumps of burning metal. The LMF ones are reliable and produce a nice hot controlled spark.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
They all work to some ectent, but they do vary quite a bit. I've had quite a few from group buys and wotnot over the years and always come back to light my fire. The cheap ones are OK for stashing here and there just in case, but for on yer belt, regular use, spend the extra and get a Light My Fire army model.

I even got seduced by a whopper (oooo-errr missus)....

mansfiresteel.jpg

But it's just a big, heavy lump and doesnt work as well as the LMF steels.

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
That's terrific peeps! Thanks very much!

The unknown one I had was great because it produced fat, hot sparks on my first attempt and never failed me. I've seen others struggle with their rods (snigger) and on trying them myself, had the same difficulty.
That's how I came to the conclusion that perhaps different composition formulations produce different results. At least in the cack-handed like myself! Perhaps in those with more technique finesse, it's less of an issue.

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
Most informative, thank you. I've always wondered why I've had such variable results. Serves me right for being such a cheapskate. I shall invest in a LMF.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
That's terrific peeps! Thanks very much!

The unknown one I had was great because it produced fat, hot sparks on my first attempt and never failed me. I've seen others struggle with their rods (snigger) and on trying them myself, had the same difficulty.
That's how I came to the conclusion that perhaps different composition formulations produce different results. At least in the cack-handed like myself! Perhaps in those with more technique finesse, it's less of an issue.

The chemistry is different in em. Some make fat sparks but tend to be hard to strike, some make smaller sparks but strike easily. Most people prefer the easy strike type (LMF) because you get more finesses, more control over where the sparks go and there is less chance of scattering your tinder. Other people prefer to do bombing runs from 3 feet away and hope something catches. :D You pays yer money and takes yer choice. As I said, they all work to some extent, but most of the people I've spoken to who have had/used different types, seem to prefer the LMF steels - I certainly do - to the extent that even for backups and spares, these days I'll pay the extra for LMF.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I've got two.

Got the first one about 8 years or so ago. I honestlt can't remember the brand name but it is very similar to the light my fire ones. - It have never let me down, though it is starting to get a bit thin.

I got one recently in a trade - an army one. - produces much different sparks, hotter but more concentrated. Both do the job.

As said light my fire and swedish army ones are highly recommended.

Andy

rancid badger

The ones from Ray Mears at Woodlore are very good, the LMF ones are OK. I've got a couple of unknown ones I can't remember where from that are not so good, so I use them to practice with.

Dave

In my experience, the best available by a long shot, are the Fireflash steels from Woodlore, the LMF Army is okay and the rest are frankly; not really very good.

R.B.

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
Sports Direct are still selling Karrimor ones for £3. I picked one up a while back and its good for the money. Not the best and sometimes difficult to use but it does the job. For £3 its great as a backup. Im surprised they are still selling them at this price so im going to pick up another one actually.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
beware of relying on cheap ones for an emergency backup. I've had a few different types which have sparked reasonably well when new, but a couple of months later barely sparked at all :(

possibly the material has oxidised and changed it's composition over time?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE