Firesteel Neck/Belt Pouch.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pwb

I made this pouch for a 'Light My Fire' Scout fire-steel. It's made from wet formed 2mm thick leather, reclaimed from an old bag.

DSC01742Small.jpg
DSC01743Small.jpg

It can be worn round the neck or on the belt.

DSC01745Small.jpg

Having made a few basic things using reclaimed leather I find it's sometimes not the easiest of materials to work with. The leather I used here had not been dyed so much as given a sprayed on coating and was a pain to re-dye, avoiding old stitch holes is also a problem.
So I've been thinking of buying some veg tanned leather and a few basic leather working tools to improve the finished look of items.
Hopefully someday, after more practise, maybe trading some work here.

Any feedback would be most welcome.

Cheers, Pete.

pwb

Looks great. I'm also thinking about having a go at some leather craft. What tools did you use?

Thanks,
I Used a mould to form the leather and a Frosts carving knife to cut it. Made the stitch and eyelet holes with an awl and a hole punch, used a Dremel to sand the edges.
I think tools like an edger, stitch groover and over-stitch wheel would make it look more professional.

Pete.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Nice job !

Just starting to play with leather myself- what is this about sanding edges and what is a dremel ? (Please forgive my ignorance)
Any help much appreciated....

pwb

Nice job !

Just starting to play with leather myself- what is this about sanding edges and what is a dremel ? (Please forgive my ignorance)
Any help much appreciated....

Bit of a tip I picked up here but I see that Rapidboys sheath making tutorial sticky in the edged tools section has lost it's pictures so have a look here on how to finish edges.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8266

A dremel is just a small multi purpose electric drill, fitted with a sanding drum it is quick at shaping edges.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/images/products/430491_l.jpg

Hope this is of help.

Pete.

Thanks,
I Used a mould to form the leather and a Frosts carving knife to cut it. Made the stitch and eyelet holes with an awl and a hole punch, used a Dremel to sand the edges.
I think tools like an edger, stitch groover and over-stitch wheel would make it look more professional.

Pete.

Did you just mold the leather around the firesteel? Can anyone point me in the direction of a wet moulding tutorial type thingy???

Ta Muchly

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Thanks Puub, that link is really handy.
Just makes me realise how far I have to, still the journey starts with one step I guess.....

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Lovely work and environmentally friendly to boot! A nice bit of recycling, I'm new to leather working myself but I've found it quite therapeutic on these long winters evenings.

Having the pouch ready for belt or neck carry is always a good idea. Keep it up!

pwb

Glad that tutorial (well, sort of) has helped someone!

Certainly helped me loads :D .

A possibles pouch is top of my list of things to make when I get round to buying some leather that and having a go at a sheath.

By the way would thicker veg tanned leather ,of say 3-3.5mm, be capable of being formed round smaller objects or would I be better off using thinner.

Cheers, Pete.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Well, the leather I used for the pouch in the tutorial was 3/3.5mm veg tan. When wet it is easy to shape round the mold. I think the radius around which you bend the leather is more important than the size of the object you're making. If you make a smaller object, I think your project will look better and be easier to make with a thinner leather. the thicker leather may also look a bit "heavy" on a small pouch. It's worth experimenting if you've got small bits of off-cut leather, just to get the feel for what's possible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE