Firesteel Adventures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
Ok I know the title is more glamorous than what I have been up to but, I've been having a great time over the last week.

It all started with a post I put up asking for advice as all I could light was cotton wool. True to form plenty of members took the time to give info on methods of lighting and suitable tinders (Rancid Badger even went as far as sending Birch bark my way).
To give a little something back to the forum I thought I wold try to document some of my attempts at getting tinder lit in the hope that others with little experience may get a better start and the more experienced can suggest better/alternative ways to get results :).

So armed with a little experience (all gained in front of the fireplace at home) and plenty of enthusiasm I headed out on my first foray to see what was about. First target was a dead Birch.

p1000231q.jpg

From this I got a few strips

p1000245n.jpg

The top piece is from Rancid Badger, the bits I cut are not as thick, the layer under the bark was very spongy (I could scrape it off with my finger) and kept breaking up. Pressing on I fluffed up what I had by scrapping the bark parallel to the grain.

p1000239.jpg

Then out with the firesteel and the back of the knife, Hey presto

p1000240z.jpg

Next on the list was this

p1000234z.jpg

p1000241k.jpg

I think it is old mans beard, It was very wet looking sitting on the tree but since the Birch bark lit I decided to give it a try, Unfortunately I could not light it so into the pocket it went and tomorrow I will try again.

Got the Old mans beard dried and seen how it would light (Back at the fireside at home) with it being dry it light no problem, I did not find a problem with it becoming powdery but I have only had it for 48 hours.

p1000247vh.jpg

p1000251d.jpg

p1000248cn.jpg

I also collected some Bulrush (not from the forest but work) again this is very wet so I never tried to light it that will be for tomorrow.

p1000242l.jpg

Dried the Bulrush overnight, the seed heads seemed to be ready to be fluffed up, all I had to do was rub the knife against it and it looked like cotton wool.

p1000252r.jpg

Inside the house I gave it a shower of sparks....

p1000253m.jpg

it light very well but, as most BCUK members have advised it seemed to be all flash but no bang and the fluffed up area burned very fast. Ironicly I put the rest of the head into the wood burning in the hearth of the fire in the picture and despite the heat it resisted burning very well so I will see if there is a trick to making these a better tinder.

Regards,
Cal

Last edited:

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
I'm in a very similar position to Calurix, having mixed results with my own Maya dust made from fatwood sticks and birch bark. Other than vaseline-impregnated cottonwool pads I've a long way to go before I become accomplished using a firesteel. Bulrushes are pretty thin on the ground in London, and if I attempt to set fire to any old men's beards I shall get arrested.

I've successfully managed to produce a glowing ember on char cloth but I can't get a tinder bundle to ignite. I really need to go on a course to be shown properly. I just bungle away on my own after watching YouTube videos with varying and frequently disappointing degrees of success. Perseverance is the key, so I'll try not to become too disheartened.

Last edited:

antzy

Sep 8, 2010
Dorset
Good stuff, keep it up. I carry a length of jute string with my firesteel - unravel and light - then add birch bark. seems to work

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i experimented with old mans beard after reading it was a good tinder but in my opinion its crap, it holds onto moisture so you really have to dry it out then it just turns to dust when you buff it. So unless i missed something with it i would not put it on my tinder list given that birch bark is very very good i have yet to struggle in my area to find where it doesnt grow so it stays as number one for me and its there all year round. I have used willowherb seed down and other tinders with success but to be honest birch bark rules for me and i even carry a descent stash of it in my tinder box.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Id agree skip the old mans beard lichen the only place I manged to get it to light reliably was Swedish lapland a few years back.

Cheers Russ

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You want the seed down, from the Reedmace heads ( bull rush) if you gather it when the seeds are shedding its ready to go, but otherwise you'll need to strip the heads by hand and probably have to dry it out.

To be honest; its not ideal in any case, as it flares and doesn't produce a good flame.

Try scraping the surface of the seed heads, with your finger nail, if the seeds come away in expanding lumps, your in! if not you'd be better off trying something else.

The only natural tinder I've found personally, that can be successfully used in wet conditions, is thick birch bark.

keep experimenting and you'll get there.

cheers

R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE