Fires under tarps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I would like to have my fires under my tarp. I have a 3x3 cotton tatonka. Given a 'moderate' small campfire for cooking etc, how high do you think the tarp should be? Any tips for keeping smoke free or protecting the tarp? I was thinking something like a sacrificial piece of material suspended over the fire just below the tarp to stop any sparks.

Or is it just a no-no?

Cheers

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Big fern leaves upside down act as a kind of vent for smoke, directing it up and away from you (just like a shutter-blind). If you are sitting around a camp fire and the wind is changy, you can just lift one infront of you instead of moving around the fire to escape it.

As for the fire under tarp, I wouldn't like to advise :eek:

Funny Avatar!

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Peg down one side of the tarp as usual but for the otherside secure the guy lines up around saplings/other trees close by to give an open air effect but still with plenty of protection from the wind and rain. Strip the wood of the bark first and this will reduce the smoke, not sure if smoke will affect the fabric but i imagine it will stain it under certain conditions like a canvas tipi will.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
What's wrong with having a smoky smelly tarp?!!

Just make sure your fire isn't a raging inferno, and you could put it a step or two away from the edge of your tarp, you'll still feel the heat from the fire.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Set up the tarp, just above head height, find which way the wind is blowing and light your fire the side the wind is going, just under the edge of the tarp. You can then sit in the shelter with the smoke blowing away from you. If it is raining hard, just drop down the side that is where the wind is comming from. I use the poly cotton tatonka for this purpose and it works a treat.
Hope this makes sence........

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
One word of warning - if it's really windy, and you light a fire in the lee of your tarp, you might find yourself facing a strong vortex throwing all that smoke (and flame) straight at you.

That was an interesting experience... ;)

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
I have experienced sharply swirling winds many, many times. I have helped put out tarp/equipment fires started by camper's fires under those tarps on three occasions. No one was hurt, but large holes were burned in the tarps and in other gear (one very nice down sleeping bag pretty badly damaged). So it's a risk. Up to you if you want to run that risk unless you're in Scouting and following Scouting rules.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'm sure there was a thread not so long ago where someone posted a picture of a small enclosed stove with a chimney taking care of smoke and hot gas to a level above their tarp - maybe not the ideal lightweight backpacking answer but it could be made to work well I think.

Ogri the trog

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Ogri the trog said:
I'm sure there was a thread not so long ago where someone posted a picture of a small enclosed stove with a chimney taking care of smoke and hot gas to a level above their tarp - maybe not the ideal lightweight backpacking answer but it could be made to work well I think.

Ogri the trog

I'm guessing you mean this one,
http://forums.kifaru.net/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000972;p=0
from the modified nimbewill stove part 2 thread

The small stove weighs in at just over 3lbs ( how much over depends on the size of the chimney ) the smallest ( the para ) is only 2Lbs 5Oz

Pricey though

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure the tarp is of a reasonable height and that the campfire doesn't turn into a bonfire!Ok its just started thunder and lightning outside so I'd better turn this computer off before it blows up and get outside to listen! Laters :D

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Jon Pickett said:
Set up the tarp, just above head height, find which way the wind is blowing and light your fire the side the wind is going, just under the edge of the tarp. You can then sit in the shelter with the smoke blowing away from you. If it is raining hard, just drop down the side that is where the wind is comming from. I use the poly cotton tatonka for this purpose and it works a treat.
Hope this makes sence........

Makes perfect sense to me, heres a pic of my setup! :)

P1020869-.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE