Polycotton Tarps ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Hi,

Looking for a winter and fire camping ploycotton or similar tarp supplier like Tatonka or DD.
Looks like Tatonka don't have a UK dealer. Have used Tentipi tarps at work on expeds and they were excellent.

Any ideas ?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I understand very well why polyester-cotton mix fabrics are sensible for clothing but I don't understand why this mix should be a good idea for tent sheets.
Cotton tent sheets become water proof when they get whet and the cotton threads swell. Polyester thread doesn't swell. In my opinion it's a fault to mix it into a tent fabric.

I think you should rather look for a pure cotton tarp. Tortuga makes such stuff since decades and it works very well, for example and bushcraft Spain offers such tarps too. But there are surely others as well.
TenCate is surely the best known maker of cotton tent fabrics in Europe, by the way.

Reactions: TLM

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Polyester is added to the cotton to make the fabric a little lighter, quicker drying and to prevent the tarp or whatever from stretching. There is also the idea that it resists sparks from the fire rather better than any synthetic tarp - hence the interest in them from the bushcraft community here. An unwaxed/unproofed pure cotton tarp would take a long time to dry out if it got wet and, over time, would stretch awkwardly - or maybe comfortably - a bit like a preferred pair of jeans...

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Cotton tent sheets rather tend to shrink a bit in my experience. It takes decades though if you aren't so stupid to put it into your washing machine.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
ERBS>>"TenCate is surely the best known maker of cotton tent fabrics in Europe, by the way."

TENCATE are major manufacturers of quality POLY cotton cloths too, made for many of the Dutch Storm/Pyramid tent makers.

A cheaper polycotton tarp is/was available from Spreen Outdoor, a German supplier. I have one.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE