Fires in coniferous forests

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mattburgess

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Wivenhoe
This is a real newbie bushcraft question but what's the proceedure for having a fire in a dense coniferous wood?

I was scouting about last summer and was going to spend a night out in one such location. The floor was about a foot or more thick with pine needles. I thought that lighting on that surface with all that dry tinder around was probably a bad idea - even if I did hit soil eventually I was a bit worried of sparks and fires going underground etc.

'Luckily', someone had done some fly-tipping nearby and a picked myself out a circular BBQ base for the job! Didn't end up camping out as it happened but just wondering what you guys think. Even with the the BBQ base I was worried about heat/sparks but people obviously have fires in pine forest without burning them down. Over cautious?

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
If you scrape back the pine needles back to earth and give enough space for your fire then you should be OK however you will still need to be careful when you put out your fire because it could smoulder then resurface. If you have got a firebin of somekind then Id reccomend you use it just to be on the safe side. just be sure to put your fire out and spread the ashes with your hands so you know they are cool. :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I'll admit that I have done it once or twice (when I didn't know better), but it's not exactly recommended procedure. The simplest answer is "don't!"

If you really must, then you need to clear the surrounding area back to bare earth, keep your fire as small as possible, watch it like a hawk, and make sure that it's really out afterwards (lots of water, then go through the base with your hands like you're looking for a needle in a haystack).

They're not exactly inviting places to camp anyway... I'd always prefer to camp outside such woods, somewhere where you can have your fire on safe ground. TBH, I'm not entirely happy even firing up a stove in such a tinderbox.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Davey and Gregorach have more or less said it all.

Can I take it by your description of "coniferous wood" that you mean forestry plantation? Never the most accommodating of places!

I too have overnighted in pinewoods, or rather in clearings or riversides, sometimes purposefully, sometimes when running for cover from the weather, and can say that there is a world of difference between natural pinewood and plantation.

You also have to bear in mind that the green boughs of most pines and firs will flare if put on the fire. They will also flare on the tree!

By the roadside in one tiny remnant of the old Caledonian Forest in Blackmount Estate is a sign saying, "That which burns never returns!"

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
The place I camped out at the weekend, over the way from me was all pine needles. Hence I didn't set my fire there and quite frankly I wouldn't have got permission to be there if I said I was staying there! Something to bare in mind if asking to stay there, know the basics at least.

Places like this usualy sound hollow underfoot which is a dead giveaway.

mattburgess

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Wivenhoe
Many of you have said what I thought would logically be the way to go - clear the needles, small fire that you watch like a hawk, use a base if you have one, or don't have one at all...which was the way I went in the end. However, people living in northern (and southern) climates travel and camp in these type of woods all the time, and have fires. Logically you would look for a clearing but it can't always be possible to find a needle free zone in dense woodland.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
If you're among the trees, stay away from the finer roots, which can act as fuses.
Use a liner if the earth won't be damp enough after the fire has been burning for a while.

You're right to be cautious about doing this. Often coniferous plantations are on peat - the soil can be very poor for other agriculture. I would steer away from lighting fires on the ground if this is the case as peat can smoulder underground for weeks. Often, the fire will resurface somewhere later too.

I've seen this several times. If spotted and put out you're left with a fire 'crater'. If it's not spotted it could lead to a forest fire.
Best regards,
Kim

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have had a fire in coniferous woodland but was lucky enough to find a large flat rock possibly from an old drystone wall. I built my fire on this, but you have to REALLY be on top of the job all the time, sparks and embers etc. Not a fire to relax by or worse fall asleep next to.. Far too many variables

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE